Ok Linux Guys I have a question......
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ok Linux Guys I have a question......

Post Ok Linux Guys I have a question......

Sorry, If this is the wrong forum then feal free to move it. I tried the Linux forum, but got an error that only people with permission could post there and it wouldnt let me post. Ok, to my question. I am looking to get Linux to play around with so that I can learn it, It seems that more and more People are using it, but. There are so many different versions, and makers. Mandrake, Red Hat, etc. Which one should I get?? Any recomendations. I dont mind at all paying to get the box, and get the tech support (which I am sure I will need). Like I said I want to just play around with it on a junk computer, and maybe hook it up on a network and things like that. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
    *Edited by Sowulo*

Thanks to A d e p t for the avatar!!!!

Im done here

ouch, touchy subject here Surprised no one else jumped in on this yet. Just about any of the distrubitions will probably do for just messing around with it like you want to do. For some reason, Redhat has always been my favorite, although I really can't tell you why. Just seemed to fit better.

I am staying out of it!

Smile

Sonds like you are doing what I have started to do. I downloaded RedHat 7.0 and the install was easy as heck. Just remember to write down the root password so if you forget it (like I did after putting it off to the side for a month) or you'll have to reinstall.
    I'm still new at it and have been playng around with the GUI in GNOME some, and trying to figure the command lines (simular but not quite like HP-UX which I know).
    I have been having some issues with the file structure, it dosn't seem to like the FAT32 format so I'm having troubles putting files on CD to move them to the box.

Oh, the Linux forums are acculy locted at www.xdrivers.com
    You will need a new login for those forums (which I need to do myself for I have tons of questions about it)
    ...I don't get it...

Aw come on Lag, Im interested in what ya got to say. I have been looking at Mandrake, but am open to any and all suggestions.
    Thanks for the xdrivers tip, thats probably why I cant post there.
    *Edited by Sowulo*

Im done here

Since you mentioned mandrake I'll mention my experience with mandrake. It was very first linux install. I was using an AMD Athlon Slot A with 256MB RAM and a 40GB Hard drive. It installed just fine, but the gui wouldn't load right(or at all) and the grub loader sucked. I would go with LiLo. Anyways after editing files I had no clue existed my video worked and Most was good. My advice would be to not use it on a machine you want running soon! There might be a few snags in the install. ..Oh yeah...I was using a Voodoo 3500 for a video card. Other than the harsh install It worked good. I used it for programming purposes. I haven't had much experience with installing other Linux systems or else I'd tell you about those as well. It all depends on your use. If you need a really secure server you'd have to look more at the OS's security. But as a casual Linux user I don't think it matters all that much, or at all for the matter.

Great, thanks for the input. I will be installing it on an old junker that will be used just for trying different operating systems, just for personal knowledge. So nothing imporant will be on the machine. Anyone else out there with ideas, or input??
    *Edited by Sowulo*

Im done here

Cool

heh, all this Linux stuff has made me finaly setup and account at xdrivers
    ...I don't get it...

RedHat 7.1 came out about a week ago, so l'd definitely look into that one. l havent grabbed it yet, but l've been reading the whitepapers on this since about a month before it came out...read my past posts on <a href="http://www.xdrivers.com">Xdrivers</A> and you'll see how much l was anticipating this one.

SuSe (soo-suh) is another one worth trying, but l had problems with it, personally. Not what you think: my problem was that it installed everything for me without error. The whole point of linux is getting your hands dirty, and SuSe's install just didn't give me that option.

Mandrake isn't bad, and l heard 8 is much better than their last fiasco. Conectiva is an extremely simple and glitzy-professional-graphics-intense distro, with some really nice toys. Just don't look for Breakwindows linux, a friend of a friend knows a guy who told him its only vapourware (kidding) but it really isnt out yet, so l'd recommend playing with any of the ones above. l actually spelled their names right this time, so just append .com to them to find the download and information
    BreakWindows
    God told me to skin you alive..

Well, I guess I'm pretty new to Linux too. I'm using Caldera 2.3 on an HP 133, 32 MB RAM and its actually giving me some problems. Its the only one I've been able to install properly. I have RH 7,but couldn't get that to install. I really want to get into it and learn what I can. Hey, BW, thanx for your help on the linux forum. I'm 'stonecold' over there. still trying to get Samba installed and set up,but I'll keep plugging away at it.
    I think the problem is either an ID10T or PEBCAK error

Thanks guys!!
    *Edited by Sowulo*

Im done here

CobraTekMax

We use Red Hat on our servers at work, and I use it at home as well. I like it a lot, and I've also played around with Caldera, and found that to be a nice distro too.

If you can find a copy of Corel Linux somewhere, that is supposedly the easiest and most user friendly Linux distro on the market, but I've also heard that it was the weakest as well. And since Corel has decided to stop developing it, I don't know what the status is of their support for it.

I'll recommend Red Hat since that's the distro I've worked with most, and know the best.

Well I would agree with everyone on Red Hat and Mandrake but I would recommend SuSE for beginners. The only problem you might have is processor power since you said you was going to install on an old clunker I don't know if that means 486,pentium,pentium II but it will be pretty slow if it is below Pentium II, Also you can only download eval copies of SuSE they make you buy the real thing. Mandrake 8 is very good except it has scsi controller problems (something with the modules) but the one I am using is a beta I don't know if it is released yet or not.
    www.linuxiso.org and take your pick and have fun.

Yeah I guess I could've given you guys a clue as to what kinda system I will be installing, P2 300, and various junk parts will be used. I think I can stir up about 64 meg of ram. Just one of those Ill put it together and pray it runs at work type systems, maybe get a cd writer and hook it up to a network for internet access. I must also be able to keep track of my daily records for what (real work) I do during the day, how many systems I fix per day, claim ## blah,blah,blah. Thanks for all of the help and the sites listings will help aout greatly. I will keep you guys updated, and many questions will be brought up, I am sure. But I will post on Xdrivers for that.(Nothiing against Windrivers, it just seems like the right place to post Q's about Linux)Thanks again!!
    *Edited by Sowulo*

Im done here

3fingersalute

I'm running mandrake on my mp3 server at home and redhat on my mp3 server at the shop....the mandrake was much smoother to setup and had more support, but it was like 2 or 3 versions later than my Redhat 5.2 I have.