Need a cheap digital camera - Help!!!

Thread: Need a cheap digital camera - Help!!!

Red face Need a cheap digital camera - Help!!!

Hey guys. I'm looking for a digital camera in the $200-$300 range. I know that won't get me spectacular but I need something that's just going to take some decent pictures. I really would like a camera with cheap media such as 3.5" disk media. Anybody have any suggestions?
    The Artisan formerly known as A+Tech.

Go ahead and get you a SONY MAVICA FD-75. You can get them on mysimon.com for around $325.00. It's worth the extra money and they run on 3.5" floppies. Or...try to find one on E-bay.
    Happy hunting my friend......
    "Good advice is only good if followed."
    ***poof***ShAzAm vanished!

i bought a fd73 from sears 1 year ago for 200...they might have come down even more..
    UsePost2000
    IT Consultant
    A+, MCP, MCP+I, MCSA,
    MCSE, MCSE2000, MCDBA,
    MCT, CCNA, CCNP

Thumbs up

I just bought a Fuji FinePix 1300 for $238 at Ritz Camera. It's functional and affordable. It uses Smart Media though instead of floppies.

I went the Smart Media route because two friends of mine have Mavica's (different models) and both had the same complaint upon returning from vacation. They both complained about having to lug around a bag full of floppies. I bought an extra 32Mb Smart Media chip which, in hi-res mode, is allegedly the equivalent of 4 rolls of 24 exp. 35mm film.

Since I take my laptop with me on vacation so the kids can play games and everyone can keep up on e-mail, I can simply transfer the pix to my laptop at the end of the day and start the next day with 4 fresh rolls of film in the camera.
    "what'dya mean I hosed the whole thing? Is that bad?"

I have an HP C200 with a 16 meg Compact FLash card and I do the same thing, copy the pictures to my laptop. It is kool because it came wit ha video cable and I can give the family a slide show on the TV too.
    "What happened to coffee flavored coffee?"

Thanks for the info everyone. Does anyone have any experience with the Fuji Finepix 1400? It has some better features than the 1300 and I've heard good things for the money. Anybody?
    The Artisan formerly known as A+Tech.

My original post got deleted, so here's my 0.02

Start by going to CNET and checking out their camera section, they have loads of reviews and you can compare prices.

You can also check these sites for more info: http://www.dcresource.com/ http://www.dpreview.com/ http://www.megapixel.net/

My advice is to not cheap out on a digital camera, once you start using it you will want to do more with it and may even consider using it exclusively instead of film based cameras. A well appointed digital camera is a joy to work with, a cheap one is a pain to use. Whatever you decide, make sure you try it out first before you buy it.

And when I say "Try it" I don't mean take it out of the box and look at it. Really use it, take some pictures both inside and outside, with flash and without, transfer the pictures to PC and see what they look like. How well does the camera handle details, action shots, etc. Commision-paid salesmen should be happy to help you in this endeavor.

Personally I have the HP (I paid $300) and I love it - it does use CF cars, but the readers are real cheap, and I am working on a battery powered cf to hdd portable xfer device - so that your 8/16/32 cf card can effectively be used in the field to take thousands of photos.
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.

The answer to your question is: 00110100 00110010

Here is another link for you all to try:
    http://www.henrys.com/buyingtips/digital.htm