[RESOLVED] Error--Can't Write ESCD

Thread: [RESOLVED] Error--Can't Write ESCD

gads12

Angry Error--Can't Write ESCD

I'm working on a pc with a Asus P2B-F motherboard. and just updated the BIOS
    (Award) with the latest update from ASUS bx2f1011.awd so it will support HD's larger than 8 Gig and I keep getting Error on bootup. (Error--Can't Write ESCD) after this passes the PC seems to run fine.
    The PC is a Pentium II 350 with 128 Meg PC 100 RAM, Diamond Stealth 64 video card and a Monster 3D II video card ( with address corections to make the cards work together)
    S/B Live sound card.

Any fix or info for this issue.
    Thanks Glenn

------------------
    Glenn

Macmillium Joe

Hello,
    I hope I can give you some help with your problem. The Extended System Configuration Data is located in the CMOS ram and is used by your BIOS to alocate proper resources to PnP and non-PnP devices installed in your Pc, please make sure that you have reset your CMOS Ram and reinstalled the values in the setup program for your CMOS, I am not sure but your new Bios maybe is having a little problem with its PnP obligations. The reset is done through a jumper on the motherboard - be carefull when you open the case, remember to prevent any electrostatic dicharge from you to anything inside the case.Please post results.
    Thank you.

gads12

Joe
    I tried your Suggestion, I could not find the Jumper on the motherboard (ASUS P2B-F) did not find anything in the manual either. So I removed the battery and shorted the terminals and that reset the CMOS.
    I redid the CMOS settings and rebooted But I’m still getting the same error the PC it self seems to run fine I’m beginning to think this is a cliche with the BIOS update I have down loaded it several times and reflashed but still get same error.
    Thanks for your input
    Glenn

Macmillium Joe

Hello,
    Too bad you still have that problem, I am not sure if you did but have you read the Q&A at www.asuscom.de/products/techref/tech-support/qa-mb0998.html#p2b-hdd ?
    It looks like something is wrong with that Bios update.
    Good luck and please check the Bios version that you have now.

Macmillium Joe

Hello,
    I need to have some info about how did you performed this flash, if you used the Flash.exe or Pflash.exe utility . The Pflash utility is used on boards that support PnP and the Flash is not.
    Also after you successifully flashed the bios, you should scape back to a Dos prompt, then reboot the PC; after it reboots hit DEL to enter the CMOS setup, go to "load setup defaults" then save and exit setup.
    Please post results.
    Mac

gads12

Joe
    I used the aflash.exe that ASUS recomended. this is a PNP motherboard I created a boot disk and flashed it from Dos I have done several bios's before. just never ran in to this issue.
    Thanks again
    Glenn CES

------------------
    Glenn

Macmillium Joe

Hello, Glenn
    I think that you are not the only one, I found some similar problems with the same board on other forums, just feel sorry that this you are one of them.
    Also I post Email to Asus support, I will see what they have to say.
    Good luck.
    Joe.