Windows me.

Thread: Windows me.

Question Windows me.

Does any 1 know an easy way to install windows me and then uninstall it without having to re-install win98. You know what I mean. Restore to privious version!!! If you know please write in detail.
    Tahnks.
    Yahoo! Rocks...Goodbye Google THE Privacy Pirate!

QSECOFR

If you saved your uninstall information when you upgraded, then it would be simple. Just uninstall WinME. If you installed any applications after installing ME, you would need to reinstall them. Otherwise, just FDISK and Install 98.

------------------
    OS/400...At least it's not Microsoft.

tk421

If you upgraded to ME from 98, and then went back to 98, I think you're just asking for problems. Unless you have some crazy configuration of your applications that you absolutely need to keep, then just re-install 98.

I don't understand why everyone is so against backing up their junk, formatting and re-installing their OS. It's such a cleaner way to go.

------------------
    www.mp3.com/stairwell

x_789

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by tk421:
    If you upgraded to ME from 98, and then went back to 98, I think you're just asking for problems. Unless you have some crazy configuration of your applications that you absolutely need to keep, then just re-install 98.

I don't understand why everyone is so against backing up their junk, formatting and re-installing their OS. It's such a cleaner way to go.

</font>
    Totaly agree 100% X

------------------
    No really That paper thingy you took out of the box with all the words on it was not packing material its called a "MANUAL"

[This message has been edited by x_789 (edited March 10, 2001).]

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by x_789:
    Originally posted by tk421:

</font>
    Totaly agree 100% X

Totally agree 200%

There, got another star. (sorry couldn't resist)

------------------
    If it aint broke it aint no fun!!!

compaqman

Fdisk and reinstall 98, use your ME disk as a coaster for your can of what ever you are drinking while you do the reinstall.

------------------
    Net Appliances: The Next Generation... The USB Toaster.

[This message has been edited by compaqman (edited March 11, 2001).]

I dont get why everyone wants to go back to 98.
    Me works just fine...
    it works better than 98 when done as a clean install, which can be done with an upgrade disk (in case someone doesnt know)
    I run strictly (at home) windows 2000 server (my server) windows 2000 pro (my os) and windows me (my girlfriends os)

i bought ME the day it came out, installed it on her system (format/loadup) and havent had ANY problems.

as for me, I abuse the hell out of my machines... it doesnt matter what OS i run, i can crash it in a week... (have crashed UNIX (freebsd)
    I will probably go to XP when it comes out, just because it is NT with 98's ability to play games. (though it is geared for losers)

they should come out with a gamers edition, techie edition (gamers with less newbie crap) and beginners edition.

#1 tip: format, install ME. your problems should go bye-bye, unless your machine sucks.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by kannibul:
    I dont get why everyone wants to go back to 98.
    Me works just fine...
    it works better than 98 when done as a clean install, which can be done with an upgrade disk (in case someone doesnt know)
    I run strictly (at home) windows 2000 server (my server) windows 2000 pro (my os) and windows me (my girlfriends os)

i bought ME the day it came out, installed it on her system (format/loadup) and havent had ANY problems.

as for me, I abuse the hell out of my machines... it doesnt matter what OS i run, i can crash it in a week... (have crashed UNIX (freebsd)
    I will probably go to XP when it comes out, just because it is NT with 98's ability to play games. (though it is geared for losers)

they should come out with a gamers edition, techie edition (gamers with less newbie crap) and beginners edition.

#1 tip: format, install ME. your problems should go bye-bye, unless your machine sucks.
    </font>
    Wow do I ever agree with you! Any change in OS should be a clean install. And I've built an awful lot of pc's with WinMe without any problems. WinMe upgrades are a whole nuther story. My experience (full-time independent tech since '86) has always been Windows runs great on good hardware. What constitutes good hardware? I could start quite a flame war giving my opinions on this one....

------------------
    Ya never know, ya know?

[This message has been edited by sowulo (edited March 12, 2001).]
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."

tk421

I don't know that I'd say anything bad about ME. As far as I can tell, it's Windows 98 with a more w2k-like interface.

The problem comes when you try to upgrade your OS. That's just like saying "hey bill, I don't have enough computer problems. Can I have some more, please?"

tk

------------------
    www.mp3.com/stairwell

IT Len

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by sowulo:
    Wow do I ever agree with you! Any change in OS should be a clean install.... Windows runs great on good hardware. What consitutes good hardware? I could start quite a flame war giving my opinions on this one....

</font>
    Carve this quote in stone, refer to it often. In a nutshell this covers the entire ME subject.

I was totally prepared to dislike ME, and I'm wondering if all the trouble I had with it in the early stages was not so much the OS as "pilot error!"

------------------
    Quality, in its classic Greek sense-how to live with grace and intelligence, with bravery and mercy.

kamuelajedi

Cool

Win ME Works just great on a clean install!!! that is as long as your hardware is not from the jurassic period...but then again I got it running on a P166 with 64mb ram and it works good, surprised the heck out of me... :-)

------------------
    Theres' a differance between scratching your *** and tearing a hole in it :-)

NOPE !!!
    Backup your stuff, format the system....Install Windows 98 and then put the Windows ME disk in the microwave on high for about 3 hours. Then your computer should run much better......

Have fun

Rick

------------------
    Network Administrator
    MCSE
    http://www.dcinh.com
    Network Administrator
    MCSE
    http://www.dcinh.com