[RESOLVED] Load win98 from Winxp boot menu?

Thread: [RESOLVED] Load win98 from Winxp boot menu?

SirXcalibur

Question Load win98 from Winxp boot menu?

Here is the deal. I have Winxp loaded and fine. It boots correctly and everything works great.
    But what I want to do is have the option to boot to win98 as well which I have installed on a seperate primary partition on the same hard drive as Winxp. I should just have to edit the boot.ini in winxp to do this but I am not sure how I should set it up.
    When I boot from the win98 cd rom and choose to boot from the hard disk it boots win98 automatically. But when I boot normally it boots to the winxp menu.
    I think this is partly to do with the fact that I have winxp and the win98 partitions on my raid 0 set on a promise fasttrack66 controller. So depending how you boot, it sees the partions differently.

So if I boot win98 it sees the drives as:
    C: (13GB drive on primary ide)
    d: (winxp drive, second partition on raid set)
    e: (win98 drive, first partion on raid set)

But if I boot winxp is sees the drives as:
    c: (winxp drive, second partition on raid set)
    d: (13GB drive on primary ide)
    g: (win98 drive, first partion on raid set)

Confusing I know, but can someone help me out. I will play with the arc path a bit and see what I can come up with but I am not sure.

Keep in mind that this is an install of win98 after I installed winxp and I think its using what win98 thinks is the C: drive for its MBR.

You probably would have been better off installing XP after Win98. It would have made the necessary changes to the MBR for you. Anyway....
    There is a boot manager in XP.

Right-click My Computer , and then click Properties .

-or-

In Control Panel, open the Performance and Maintenance tool, and then click System .

On the Advanced tab, click Settings under Startup and Recovery .

Under System Startup , click Edit .

You should read thesepages too.

<a href="http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q306559" target="_blank">page1</a>

<a href="http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q289022" target="_blank">page2</a>
    Note: To correct display problems, hold the "ALT"key and press"F4".

SirXcalibur

Heehee. Well I KNOW i should have install winxp after but here;s why. I acually upgraded my old win98 to winxp and it has worked beautifully. But there are some games that I want to play that work much better in win98. So I want to and that os to my system setup with out having to reinstall XP.

I know how to edit the boot.ini and do system stuff.

how about uninstalling the XP upgrade from the original win 98 and reinstalling XP in a seperate directory... Then the NT bootloader will find both.... Although it may be easier and better to reformat and start over with 98 first then XP.
    "give a man a fish, and he will eat a meal, teach a man to fish...."