Number of field techs per number of users

Thread: Number of field techs per number of users

Question Number of field techs per number of users

Hey, anyone out there know about how many field desktop support techs there should be for a certain amount of users? I thought I saw a survey out somewhere, but can't seem to locate it. If so, can you list the website that you found it it? Thanks!
    A+ MCSE CCNA

I havent seen a survey, but this is something that differs from site, to site.

Currently, the site I am working at, has around 180 users, and there are 3 of us supporting this.

What sort of situation are you in?

[quote]Originally posted by jmlozan:
    <strong>Hey, anyone out there know about how many field desktop support techs there should be for a certain amount of users? I thought I saw a survey out somewhere, but can't seem to locate it. If so, can you list the website that you found it it? Thanks!</strong><hr></blockquote>
    [email protected]

http://forum.hot4s.com.au - Hot 4's & Performance cars

Face it...all depends on how numb the users are.

Not sure if there is a golden rule for this or not. I have a Wan with 215 users at 8 sites and I am it. Think it has to do with KISS, training, and standards for user access and/or abilities.
    Demand Excellence and be willing to pay for it!

Banned

We have 130 users, and two of us here to support. I cannot tell you how bored I am. There is nothing to do.
    Came here from an environment that had 3 sites, some 3-4000 users, 5 techs, 3 phone guys, and 4 network guys, we were rather busy. Oh well, at least there is not as much stress.

I recommend not exceeding 250 users and 3 sites per tech. If that tech also has to perform admin duties (i.e. info security, server backups, contingency operations, etc.) then reduce the # users by 50 for each server/domain they have to support. Anything more than this starts to produce backlog and shoddy work even for the best techs. (Present company excepted, of course).
    L

Welcome to four more years of the most dangerous presidency in history.