CDRW Reads as CD-ROM

Thread: CDRW Reads as CD-ROM

CDRW Reads as CD-ROM

I'm new here (Found this while searching for answers) and hoping for some help. I have searched several threads and tried many tips from here but still no luck. I have a CDRW 52X24X52 Model #5224P (Giving to me so I don't know who makes it) and no matter what I do windows only loads a standard CD-ROM driver. Checked regedit and the values match so any and all help is much appreciated.
    Thanks
    Last edited by thepatriot76; February 18th, 2006 at 11:36 PM. Reason: Couldn't send screene shots

Welcome to WinDrivers, patriot.

What version of Windows are you using?

Does the drive appear to be a BenQ:

http://www.benq.us/Products/CD-RW/in...&page=features

Can you read a CD in the drive, and do you have any burning software for it?

Wow, I left out a lot. I'm running XP Pro., I was thinking it was a BenQ because that's 90% of what came up during my searches. No name was on it, on the left face it has CD-RW and 52X24X52 on the right. It will read CD's but takes a bit (All kind) but spins forever with a blank media, it did twice read a blank one but when I went to burn a test file I got the message to please insert media in drive D. I was just using the XP software, I do have the trial version of Nero at the moment.

Heh, sorry to ask more questions, but what Service Pack level is your XP?

If you can't determine visually (fascia panel, specification label) if the drive is BenQ/Acer, you could see if Everest Home can ID the drive, or if one of the Firmware identification utilities from the Drivers link on the BenQ page will accept the drive as a BenQ model.

If it is BenQ, there do seem to be some firmware issues on older versions, including Mt Rainier, which XP may be looking for to burn, and an SP2 issue with auto-play.

The other consideration is that with the low value of CD writers, it may not be worth pursuing getting a troublesome one sorted out...

I do have SP2, but I downloaded the firmware that was "Supposed" to fix that. On the way out but will look into Everest Home later today. Thanks again
    P.S. Auto Play does work at this time.

I ran Everest and here are the results.

--------[ Optical Drives ]----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[ ATAPI CD-RW 52X24 ]

Optical Drive Properties:
    Device Description: ATAPI CD-RW 52X24
    Manufacturer: Brand
    Device Type: CD-RW
    Interface: ATAPI

Writing Speeds:
    CD-R 52x
    CD-RW 24x

[ LITEON CD-ROM LTN403 ]

Optical Drive Properties:
    Device Description: LITEON CD-ROM LTN403
    Manufacturer: Lite-On
    Device Type: CD-ROM

Reading Speeds:
    CD-ROM 40x

Device Manufacturer:
    Company Name LITE-ON IT Technology Corporation
    Product Information http://www.liteonit.com/ODD/e_index.asp
    Firmware Download http://www.liteonit.com/ODD/English/...e_dvd%20rw.asp

Drawn a bit of a blank there, if it is BenQ it may be an OEM drive supplied without an ID string, how is it identified in the equipment list during POST when the computer first starts?

Another possibility for causing problems is some burners demand to be the Master drive, so if it's a slave, you could try setting it up as Master & see if it is happy then.

Well, I bought a new Lite-ON SOHR-5239v (52X32X52) CD-RW and it was doing the same thing. When I loaded the "Full" version of Nero that came with it (With the 4.1... patch) it worked fined. So I put the old drive back to check it out and what do you know, it works too. Well I could have bought Nero for $69.99 and fixed it before but since the new drive was $29.97 and came with it, I guess I did the right thing. Now what to do with the other one? Is it a good idea to run two burners (Different models) in the same system?
    Well thanks for your help and all your input, hope this helps someone with similar problems.