[RESOLVED] compaq from hell

Thread: [RESOLVED] compaq from hell

KurtLue

Resolved [RESOLVED] compaq from hell

My customer has an old Deskpro 5100, with a 1.0 gig SCSI drive. He handed me a 13.5 gig Maxtor IDE drive to install into it as a slave. Does any know if this is possible?

Cool

I had a similar situation last month, only the computer was an old Pentium 75 ACER. In my case I was able to pull it off, but the mobo bios would only allow the machine to see 8 gigs of the drive. I used Maxtor's drive utility software to help me find a configuration that the machine would tolerate. It wasn't fun, but it can be done. Good Luck!!
    WildTech
    Unless your the lead dog, the view never changes!

Exclamation

You couldn't talk him into making the old slow 1 gig drive his/her backup drive?

[This message has been edited by BAD.IRON (edited January 11, 2000).]

MuscleMan

I hate to tell you but they are all from hell. not just that one... You can do it but you will need the DDO.

Originally posted by KurtLue:
    My customer has an old Deskpro 5100, with a 1.0 gig SCSI drive. He handed me a 13.5 gig Maxtor IDE drive to install into it as a slave. Does any know if this is possible?
    It is possible if the bios on the compaq has a boot to SCSI option. Then set the new 13.5 drive as the primary master. There is still the issue of it not being seen properly by the bios but there should be a utility that came with the drive that you can use.

------------------
    I always do what the voices in my head tell me!

There is a good chance you are in for hell. There have been one or two Compaq I have seen where it just was not possible due to the wonders on Compaq's diag partiton. The computer would refuse to see anything over 8 gigs. Neither drive overlays or a bios board would work. And Compaq had no updates for this model. Remember in one case where the customer ended up having to change case, mobo, and video to get their new 27 gig drive to work.