[RESOLVED] NTFS issues with western digital HD

Thread: [RESOLVED] NTFS issues with western digital HD

Nigmafyr

Angry NTFS issues with western digital HD

heres something i have been pounding my head offa for about a week now, and i jsut thought of this, does anyone know if there is an issue with the Western Digital WD400BB drive and NTFS??

its a 40 gig 7200 rpm ATA 100 drive FYI.

thanx

------------------
    "And You Say Self-Important Egomaniac Like It's A Bad Thing"

Web Master

No there is no problem , but if it's 40GB you have to install service pack 4 or 5.

On NT 4.0 I create a 2 Gig FAT 16 Partition to install the OS on and then use NTFS for all the other space. This allows me to recover, install patches and SP's and boot from a floppy, read the partition, etc. without a special NTFS disk. It may help if you create a 2 gig part and a 38gb NTFS partition.

Under Win2k I use FAT32.

------------------
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.

The answer to your question is: 00110100 00110010

Nigmafyr

Thanx guys, this should help a lot, what i was trying to do was to install it just under one partition, many thanx!!

------------------

tk421

the easiest way to put nt on one single partition is to install it on a 4GB NTFS partition, and then use Partition Magic 6 to let it use the rest of the drive.

That is, the easiest way I know of. Does anyone know of a better way?

tk

------------------
    www.mp3.com/stairwell

3fingersalute

NT has a limit on how large it's boot partition can be, regardless of FAT or NTFS (I think it is 2.1GB)

I like to use FAT for my primary (boot) partion, that makes it accessible by a normal 95/98 boot disk, and I can throw it in a 95 or 98 system to get files off of in case of an emergency!

------------------
    Is it because light travels faster than sound that some people appear bright until they speak????

the^0rion

There's a known bug for this. I believe you can create a 40 gig NTFS partition right off the bat without making fat partitions and whatever else. What you need to do though is download the updated version of atapi.sys, put it on the floppy, then follow the instructions here:

http://support.microsoft.com/support...SRCH&SPR=NTS40

(or go to microsoft technet's knowlede base and look up article Q197667) if the link doesn't work)

the^0rion

Nigmafyr

Question

This may be a dumb question, but does all of whats said here apply to Win2K as well? or is that equivalent to NT4?????

ahhh!! too many versions!!!

------------------