Scandisk causing errors??? ??? ???:( :(

Thread: Scandisk causing errors??? ??? ???:( :(

Angry Scandisk causing errors??? ??? ???:( :(

Computer came with Win98

Upgraded to Win98 SE in Nov 99

When I run Scandisk from the Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools I always get errors, even if I ran Scandisk back-to-back multiple times. The errors are ofthe same type but not always with the same files and are always fixed. For Example:

Almost always get the error "The drive's file allocation tables (FATs) did not match"

Most of the time get the error "Part of the XXXX.XXX file or folder in the C:\XXX\XXX folder was stored in an invalid location."

Almost always get from 1 to as many as 36 lost file fragment(s).

Again Scandisk reports that is was able to fix these problems in every case.

After doing considerable research I found an article that said in Win98 one should use SCANDSKW.EXE and when in DOS one should use SCANDISK.EXE. So, which version of Scandisk is running when you go to Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools? Much to my surprise I found that it is running the DOS version of Scandisk(SCANDISK.EXE). Could this be what is causing the problems?

I located the Win98 version of Scandisk(SCANDSKW.EXE) in the C:\WINDOWS folder and when I run this version I do not get the errors mentioned above.

Question: If the version of Scandisk that is supposed to be run when in Win98 is SCANDSKW.EXE, then why does Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools run the DOS version SCANDISK.EXE?

Also, a possible related problem.

File defragmentation - When I try to run a Defrag from withinWin98 it fails at the beginning when a check of the Disk is being performed. The message says that the "Errors where found on the disk and they must be fixed before a Defrag can be accomplished." The error is DEFRAG004.

Could it be that Defrag is running the DOS version of Scandisk in preparation for the defrag and incorrectly finds errors as mentioned above with the wrong version of Scandisk being run?

Here is a small list of attempts we have tried in order to come to a soultion:

I have tried Scandisk and scandskw in windows. Restuts Found Errors and corrected them all.

I have tried scandisk in Dos
    Results found errors and corrected them all.

I have tried Defrag in windows. Will not run drive has errors that must first be repaired.

I have tried defrag in dos. Drive has errors that must be repaired.

Since the Hd is a Western DIgital i made sure that it was not one that was recalled.
    I then ran Data lifeguard tools. (Western Digital diagnostics)

please help It seems that the drive is eating itself. Although I have not noticed any programs losing data. I know that all of these .CHK files cannot be good for the system.

Thanks in Advance

------------------
    It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education. -- Albert Einstein
    It said 'Insert disk #3', but only two will fit. -- The average customer.
    [email protected]
    ICQ 182999

It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education. -- Albert Einstein
    It said 'Insert disk #3', but only two will fit. -- The average customer.
    "There is no need for any individual to have a computer in their home." – Ken Olson, President of Digital Equipment Corp., 1977 …….

[email protected]

edpcs

It's easy enough to repoint the shortcut in SYSTEM TOOLS to SCANDSKW.EXE but that won't solve the DEFRAG problem. My SCANDISK shortcut in SYSTEM TOOLS points to SCANDSKW. Not knowing the reason for this, I would try renaming SCANDISK.EXE in the \WINDOWS\COMMAND folder and running DEFRAG to see if it finds the other. Do you have access to another disk utility like Norton?

Of course, you have to reset the SCANDISK.EXE name after the experiment so that DOS can use it after premature shutdowns.

[This message has been edited by edpcs (edited January 23, 2000).]