[RESOLVED] how to get rid of desktop icons

Thread: [RESOLVED] how to get rid of desktop icons

Nigmafyr

Red face how to get rid of desktop icons

Allrite, here i am messing with the registry on my comp, ( i am just starting to learnt he advanced stuff) and i was wondering 3 things, 1. is there a way to remove the my computer icon from the desktop. 2. is there a way to remove the network neighborhood icon from the desktop (without disabling the network in windows explorer as i am connected to a LAN and i need to be able to access it all) and 3. is there a way in ME to get the menu effects and shading like there is in windows 2000?

BTW i have tried to use tweak UI to get rid of the icons and all it does is disable the network naming for me.

thanks guys

------------------
    "And You Say Self-Important Egomaniac Like It's A Bad Thing"

corelogik

the only way is to click the button on the effects menu "hide icons when desktop veiwed as web page" then select your active desktop and a jpeg or similar web document as you wallpaper.

if you do this it would be a good idea to create shortcuts to all of them on the start menu or taskbar for easy access.

------------------
    CoreLogik - "I Control Your MotherBoard"
    Emotion Is Irrelavant
    [email protected]

SiCkNuT

Can I ask why you'd want to hide these anyway??

------------------
    [ i N S A N i T Y 2 0 o 1 ]

Nigmafyr

Talking

i want to get rid of them strictly cause i dont like them, much less do i use them.

i always access everything i want from explorer, and i was lookin gmore for a registry editor thing that would get rid of them

------------------
    "And You Say Self-Important Egomaniac Like It's A Bad Thing"

Rellik

to get the shading effects you might try WindowFX by Stardock. But to me, effects like that take needed resources.

Two Ways to remove all icons:
    In the display Control Panel, [Web]:Turn on the active desktop and remove any web items, [Effects]: choose Hide icons when the desktop is viewed as a Web page
    --or--
    Try installing or running the policy editor:
    (CD:\tools\reskit\netadmin\poledit\POLEDIT.EXE) off the win9x CD and one of the, load the windows.adm file
    Open the registry from the File Menu
    open Local User:
    +Windows 98 System
    +Shell
    +Restrictions
    XHide all items on Desktop
    Save, Log off and back on
    However, on this one you will lose the context menu

------------------
    "Next week ther can't be any
    crisis. My schedule is already
    full."
    -- Henry A. Kissinger

[This message has been edited by Rellik (edited February 05, 2001).]

condor

a very cool software that will let you tweak everything and I mean EVERYTHING in your system (win9x/Me/Nt4/W2k) is Xqsetup
    http://www.xteq.com/downloads/index.mv#xset

the neat thing is that you can see what it changes (in the code tab ..)

------------------
    Computers do exactly what you tell them to do - not exactly what you want them to do ...

I believe Tweak ui allows you to add/remove icons from the Desktop.. Not sure if it covers the My Computer icon.. but heck, it's worth having anyway!¬)

------------------
    A General Protection Error has occured - Time to go home...
    A General Protection Error has occured - Time to go home...

GHSTECH

Lightbulb

system policies will allow you to remove the desktop icons and anything else on the system (startmenu items, control panels, etc.). look for poledit on the windows 98 cd(1st edition cd only, it was left off of the 2nd edition cd) or on the MS web site.

Lightbulb

Setting system policys will do everything but, the icon shading. using the posicys will prevent acces from all points on the items you disable. (network neightbor hood disapears, network in control pannel is disabled. ect.)

------------------
    Windows (N): A 32 Bit patch to a 16 bit graphical interface based on a 8 bit operating system originaly encoded for a 4 bit processor writen by a 2 bit company that cant stand 1 bit of competition.
    Windows (N): A 32 Bit patch to a 16 bit graphical interface based on a 8 bit operating system originaly encoded for a 4 bit processor writen by a 2 bit company that cant stand 1 bit of competition.