[RESOLVED] Best remote user pc control Program??

Thread: [RESOLVED] Best remote user pc control Program??

Xavier

Question Best remote user pc control Program??

I use pc anywhere for the servers but this is a costly solution as well as a hassel for users.
    2 of us look after about 800 pc's on a tcp/ip network and most of them are on remote networks. What is the best program to remotely connect and remotely control users pc's? We recieved an ad for Webex.. i don't know if any of you have used that but it looks like it does the job (but I am personally a little leary of it). What other programs can we look at?

WebJedi_Master

If cost is an issue I would use Netmeeting Desktop sharing. It's built into netmeeting which comes with win98 and later...

What you do is you launch netmeeting, and setup the "Remote Desktop Sharing" tool.

You can then set up a password to connect to the system from remote.

There are 2 things you need to remember though:

1. You must know the IP address of the system you wish to connect to. Domains and subdomains will not work with netmeeting, only IP addresses.

2. Every time the host PC boots up, the Remote Desktop Sharing icon loads into your toolbar, but is not yet active. It must be manually activated by a local user before the system can be remotely controlled.

This is the one advantage PCanywhere has over Netmeeting. If the system reboots you will not be able to re-access the system until someone on-site re-enables desktop sharing.

Other than that, it works great.

------------------
    BREAKFAST.EXE Halted...
    Cereal Port Not Responding

If you know the IP than use WinVNC, its free, its always on, its free, loads in the systray on bootup, its free, what I've always used, never had a problem. Did I mention it was free? Can be used to take control or just shadow someone's session. Something about it being free.

------------------
    we are number one, all others are number two......or lower
    I'd rather be riding my motorcycle
    "I gotta have more cowbell, baby" Bruce Dickinson(Christopher Walken)

Xavier

Exclamation

Let me say that cost really isn't an issue. I am just saying that PC Anywhere is maybe an expencive solution. The company will buy what I tell them to but I am just hoping for a good price/product ratio.