[RESOLVED] External battery for 486 boars

Thread: [RESOLVED] External battery for 486 boars

Ron

Resolved [RESOLVED] External battery for 486 boars

Does anyone know if you can still get "external batteries" (3.6v.) to salvage an old 486 mobo? Have searched, but can't seem to come up with a supply.

The logical answer would be "why would you want to", but some customers are sentimental I guess.

Thanks

MuscleMan

The customers are not sentimental their cheap. Yes you can still get them. Look for a company called Federal Distributers.

Hi!
    answer to your question is yes, they are still available.
    We have a really great distributor for batteries among other misc things... They were formerly "Fedco", now called "3klix" here is their web address: http://www.3klix.com
    also another to try is www.batterytech.com.
    these are both wholesale distributors. batterytech will custom make any battery you need - they're awesome
    "You can't turn a Volkswagon into a Mercedes!!"

Murphy was an ancestor, of this I am convinced!!

Lightbulb

Radio Shack carries them but you will have to order it. Only takes a couple of days and its not the cheapest place to by anything.

Lightbulb

teh real question is can they afford it. I have done the proces 3 time and it takes about an hour. I cant justify spending that much on a 486!

------------------
    Windows (N): A 32 Bit patch to a 16 bit graphical interface based on a 8 bit operating system originaly encoded for a 4 bit processor writen by a 2 bit company that cant stand 1 bit of competition.
    Windows (N): A 32 Bit patch to a 16 bit graphical interface based on a 8 bit operating system originaly encoded for a 4 bit processor writen by a 2 bit company that cant stand 1 bit of competition.

Lightbulb

teh real question is can they afford it. I have done the proces 3 time and it takes about an hour. I cant justify spending that much on a 486!

------------------

Talking

There are several. You can get 3.6v and 4.5v from any number of places. Radio Shack, Frys, CompUSA, etc. Anywhere tho, you need to find someojne willing to look it up. Most stores don't keep them in stock.

They also make 6v ones. Most systems don't care if it is 6v or 3.6v as long as there is power. I even saw a 7.2v once. tho I feel that is pushing it.
    ---
    Jon Hutto

how about the Dallas Real time clock. Its socketed so I pulled it out but it is dead but the battery is on the inside.

Anyone have a pinout of this thing? Itsa for a Pentium 133. I cant seem to find one anywhere. If I knew which terminals provide the voltage perhaps I could attach an external battery to it.

Ron

Originally posted by bdunn:
    how about the Dallas Real time clock. Its socketed so I pulled it out but it is dead but the battery is on the inside.

Anyone have a pinout of this thing? Itsa for a Pentium 133. I cant seem to find one anywhere. If I knew which terminals provide the voltage perhaps I could attach an external battery to it.
    http://www.firmware.com/index.htm

There is a good white paper at the above URL w/ some mention of the Dallas Clock.

Ron

Wink

As jhutto stated, voltage, up to about 6v, is immaterial. What I do is use one of the battery holders from Radio Shack (4 AA cells), solder the old connector on, and install 4 alkaline AA cells (6v total). Use small Velcro patches to hold in place. Quick and cheap. Takes about 20 min and alkaline cells will last a long time.

------------------
    Are we havin' fun yet?
    Are we havin' fun yet?

have you every seen what is left of the mainboard when those alkaline batteries leak
    you did WHAT with that computer!!!!

There are drawbacks to any type of makeshift repairs, and I'm not talking about a lifetime warranty here. The solution to the leakage problem is to mount the pack in a location where the leakage will not get on the board. Hell, put 'em in a baggie. Also, I recommend not using batteries from the local salvage store. Good quality batteries do not, as a rule, leak until they are long dead.

------------------
    Are we havin' fun yet?
    Are we havin' fun yet?