Comaptibility mode, & maxtor 6 GB HDD

Thread: Comaptibility mode, & maxtor 6 GB HDD

Post Comaptibility mode, & maxtor 6 GB HDD

greetigns,

have a system here that i cant get out of compatibility mode. I have reinstallen the PCI set drivers, reinstalled windows, changed drive configurations, isolated the drive on its own channel. Nothing changes except the controller using compatibility mode. The mode seems to follow the HDD, no mater how i set the drive up, the conttoler that it is attached to goes into compatibility mode. error goes away with drive disconnected.

I have not tested the drive on another system, but i am suspisious of drive failure of some kind. Any ideas?? MS knolege base regarding compatibility mode, gave me no clues, maby i missed something?

System spec:
    Compaq 4740 ??
    Primary Quantum Big Foot (2 Gb)(1 partition fat 32)
    Slave Maxtor 6 GB(1 partiton, fat 32)
    sec. master: CD-ROM
    Pentium processor
    Win 98 upgrade
    I82375B Controller (I have removed the win 95 bus mastering drivers as 98 has its own)

Drive apperars to read write fine, but system performance is the ****s in this mode.

------------------
    Windows (N): A 32 Bit patch to a 16 bit graphical interface based on a 8 bit operating system originaly encoded for a 4 bit processor writen by a 2 bit company that cant stand 1 bit of competition.
    Windows (N): A 32 Bit patch to a 16 bit graphical interface based on a 8 bit operating system originaly encoded for a 4 bit processor writen by a 2 bit company that cant stand 1 bit of competition.

StevePorter

Exclamation

Try partitioning that baby into 2G chunks. Some old BIOS programming can't handle drives bigger than 2G...

------------------
    Sometimes computer problems require extreme measures. Our hero, the Intrepid Spaceman Spiff, sets his blaster on "deep fat fry..."

J741

When Windows 9x encounters a problem initializing the IDE controller, it may add an entry to the system registry which tells windows to NEVER try to re-initialize and IDE drivers ever again.

Run REGEDIT and search for the key "NOIDE". If you find it in your registry, delete it.

- James.