internet connection at start won't stop !!!!!!

Thread: internet connection at start won't stop !!!!!!

Question internet connection at start won't stop !!!!!!

I have a PC that tries to start its dial up each time it boots --- and not just one time. It loads the the stupid thing over and over again, about 15 times. You can cancel all you want, and it just loads it again. After a number of times of cancelling, it goes away.

Now I have tried msconfig removing win, sys, autoexec, configsys etc. I have searched sysedit and found nothing, and I have searched the registry and found nothing related. I have looked in the startup as well --- NOTHING!!!!!!

ANY ideas would be helpful.....

------------------
    Got a customer problem? Remember, the old proverb "walk a mile in another man's shoes"

At least you will be a mile away when they start complaining.
    Blessed are the geeks, for they shall internet the world

x_789

Check in the reg under hklm\software\ms\windows\currentversion\run that is the run command line kinda like startup only from registry see if there is anything in there or a program calling for a dialup. anything callign for tcp/ip may do this is IE is enabled to make connection when nessacary even if its not ie calling it. X

Kenteth420

The first thing I would do would be to scan for virus's. It wasnt stated whether you did that or not.

DealSpree.com

My computer did that a while ago, it did it beacause some software i downloaded was set to automatically send registration information to the servers of the software company... So everytime it booted up, i get the dial up thingy... my solution... add/remove programs, Remove...
    Good Luck

------------------
    WebMaster - Hot Deals Daily!
    [url=http://www.dealspree.com]DealSpree.com[URL]

pmailloux

Red face

I would definetly scan for viruses, everytime ive had this happen thats what caused it.

lmn

Depends on the ISP software you are using to connect. If it is AT&T, go to the options button and uncheck the box for automatic connect.

Crowbar

I use Zone alarm (free for home use) for a firewall. With this installed it will tell you what program is trying to connect and you can choose to allow access or not with a mouse click. So this may make for a temporary solution and maybe identify the culprit if it's something other than malfuntioning software you have installed. I concur on the virus scan and often use multiple antivirus scans as often one will find a virus others have missed.

arcade

Question

for starters:

make sure (in iE 5, tools, options, connections)

"never dial" is checked.

x_789

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Crowbar:
    I use Zone alarm (free for home use) for a firewall. With this installed it will tell you what program is trying to connect and you can choose to allow access or not with a mouse click. So this may make for a temporary solution and maybe identify the culprit if it's something other than malfuntioning software you have installed. I concur on the virus scan and often use multiple antivirus scans as often one will find a virus others have missed.</font>
    VERY GOOD IDEA

------------------
    No really That paper thingy you took out of the box with all the words on it was not packing material its called a "MANUAL"

Cool

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kenteth420:
    The first thing I would do would be to scan for virus's. It wasnt stated whether you did that or not.</font>
    And the Prize goes to (drum roll) Kenteth420

Thanks -- A virus was the problem. It was a file with the extension .ska

The customer had Norton and it was updated, but apparently the s/w was corrupted. I removed it, installed the latest Mcafee and it found the virus.

------------------
    Got a customer problem? Remember, the old proverb "walk a mile in another man's shoes"

At least you will be a mile away when they start complaining.
    Blessed are the geeks, for they shall internet the world