[RESOLVED] here's one for the books
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] here's one for the books

dumb blonde

Resolved [RESOLVED] here's one for the books

had a guy walk in with a packerd hell (bell)computer. he wanted to upgrade it.
    computer has
    16 meg of ram
    1 gig conner hard drive
    100 mhz processor
    2x cd rom
    14.4 modem built on a sound card
    running sort of win98
    the funny part is he asked two questions
    1) why won't it go on line?
    2) can it be upgraded for $50.00 dollors?
    no joke did happen still laughing
    sold him a used computer that had been here for awhile for $50.00 not much better but hey
    it did have 128meg of 72pin memory
    150mhz intel chip and a 56k modem

------------------
    what will go wrong today???? never mind going back to bed

NewTech

I HATE packard HELL's...
    I've had to work on 4 of them(PurePunishment)

dumb blonde

tell me about nightmares all of them

------------------

evilcabbage

Packard Bells are nasty .. as are most name brands Ive had to work on (and there have been a whole heap)
    Just be thankful it wasnt a Hewlett Packard ePC, those are like pulling teeth, but not as much fun.

Also, try posting these sorta things under 'tech tales' or the 'tech lounge'

Cheerio
    -Cam

------------------
    Its like shooting fish in a barrel, in the head, at point blank range, with an elephant gun.

condor

Thumbs down

I had the complete displeasure of upgrading a P133 P.B computer:

the guy wanted win 98 instead of 95 ...

P 133
    32MB of RAM (FPM !!)
    NLX Type Mobo,
    1.2 GB (3,600 rpm drive)
    I think a Chips&technology VGA (or something equally as bad)
    and to top it all a Sound Card/Modem/TV card/Radio Card combo.

this system took me longer to find drivers and upgrade (3 days) than many servers I built or my compay

I think P.B should win 1st place as a piece of junk.

by the way I couldn't take some of it apart 'cause you need somw sepcial tools for that ( L shaped screwdrivers...)

in one word ?
    Y U C K !!!!!!

------------------
    Computers do exactly what you tell them to do - not exactly what you want them to do ...

mogul218

Best thing about a PB is the spare monitor you can salvage from the whole package. Nothing else is worth much. They seemed to have been designed by mental patients. Is Packard Bell even around anymore?

------------------
    Why oh why did I buy Windows ME? Thank god I have Win 2K & Win 98 SE!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by mogul218:
    Best thing about a PB is the spare monitor you can salvage from the whole package. Nothing else is worth much. They seemed to have been designed by mental patients. Is Packard Bell even around anymore?

</font>
    Yes they are around...
    P.s. Packard Hell computers are Brand Name...
    With all the Pros and Cons of it...

------------------
    It Works Better if you Plug it in, It Works far better if you Turn it ON!
    Real stupidity beats Artifical Intelligence

i actually must thank packard bell for beginning my 4 year (and keep on going) stint into techdom. my girlfriend had (actually has) a legend 402 that came with win 3.1. after weeks of research, finding parts, learning fsb, voltage, and multiplier settings, bios flashing, etc... i got it to fly at a smokin' 133mhz (pulled p1 75mhz, put in 120mhz and overclocked it via fsb)

with win95b, 56k, 64mb fp ram, etc...
    now i'm a tech at a shop and will have a bachellor's degree in computer science soon. i was studying music theory which meshes well with my roland d50 midi synth and my sblive 5.1 platinum with cubase.

Thanx Again Packard Bell!!!!

------------------
    "What does it all mean, Dr. Holmes?"
    "Ahh, I can not tell. I have no data."
    "What does it all mean, Dr. Holmes?"
    "Ahh, I can not tell. I have no data."

"Psssst...hey you...don't tell anyone i told you, but
    -l ds:0100 2 1 12 gets you FAT."

Please help! I have a Packard Bell 386sx that has an external 1200 baud modem and I want to set it up as the oracle server for my 1500 user intranet site and maybe as an internet e-commerce server can I upgrade it for three shillings and some pocket lint?
    You guys get all the fun customers - I haven't had one of those in 18 Months-

------------------
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.

The answer to your question is: 00110100 00110010

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by dumb blonde:
    sold him a used computer that had been here for awhile for $50.00 not much better but hey it did have 128meg of 72pin memory
    150mhz intel chip and a 56k modem

</font>
    $50 !!!!! Dang -- Next time you have one of those deals, sell it to me. Do you know how much 128MB of 72 Memory is worth???? It ain't cheap!!!!! Not to mention the 56K modem.

------------------
    Got a customer problem? Remember, the old proverb "walk a mile in another man's shoes"

At least you will be a mile away when they start complaining.
    Blessed are the geeks, for they shall internet the world

x_789

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by cyberhh:
    Please help! I have a Packard Bell 386sx that has an external 1200 baud modem and I want to set it up as the oracle server for my 1500 user intranet site and maybe as an internet e-commerce server can I upgrade it for three shillings and some pocket lint?
    You guys get all the fun customers - I haven't had one of those in 18 Months-

</font>

OH dear God that was so funny I broke out laughing and all the guy next ot me had to see what was so funny anyway we both laughed for about five minutes.
    I worked on a machine a couple years agao just like the one this guy wanted upgrade. only it was a P-50 with sound video camgeport and modem all on a crapy rizer. The modem died and i could never get it to let me install another what a POS i screwed with the jumpers on the POS for 2 days till I talked him into buying a new box. X

------------------
    No really That paper thingy you took out of the box with all the words on it was not packing material its called a "MANUAL"

x_789

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by protechpc:
    $50 !!!!! Dang -- Next time you have one of those deals, sell it to me. Do you know how much 128MB of 72 Memory is worth???? It ain't cheap!!!!! Not to mention the 56K modem.

</font>
    You Got That Right I had to buy Some for an old Pentium Pro that I run as a proxy server last december 80.00 for 32 megs had a coupon so it was only 60.00 bought 2 of them and it about broke my bank.

------------------
    No really That paper thingy you took out of the box with all the words on it was not packing material its called a "MANUAL"

dumb blonde

yea i know 72 pin memory aint cheap but got tried of kicking the computer out of my way,moving it here and there and so forth. i had it for 6months kept telling my self keep it it's worth more in parts. but the guy did make a crappy day batter. so to me it was worth it thanks

------------------

kies

pb shut down 31 dec 1999. hated working on them, but the shop i worked in was a pb repair center. they were great for job security. we used to fix 30 to 40 a week.

corelogik

look at things this way if it werent for all the POS OEM PC's out there, and the ignorant customers who wont listen to us, we'd all be out of business.

All Hail The P.O.S's

------------------
    CoreLogik - "I Control Your MotherBoard"
    Emotion Is Irrelavant
    [email protected]