WINS on NT4.0 server

Thread: WINS on NT4.0 server

Post WINS on NT4.0 server

hello all, first off i inherited this so let me digress a bit.

two WINS servers both were set to push and pull but the replication times were different as was the trigger count.

i set the replication times and the trigger count to the same value, saved the settings then choose "replicate now" to synch the databases.

now one of the WINS servers has double entries for it's own ip address and the other WINS servers ip address but the other does not.

is this the way it should be?

------------------
    "no eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn"

Medianox

You might have a replication save conflict
    You can delete the entries and recreate, but I'm not an expert.

------------------
    "Hidden knwoledge, Fluffing master"

I too am no expert in WINS but I have heard a lot of people have a lot of problems with WINS on NT4 and it doesn't look like it is going to get better soon.
    I hear these people have to destroy their WINS databases and reconstruct them occasionally.
    If the WINS servers are on member servers it would probably be wiser to upgrade them to Windows 2000 so your WINS is more stable and your NT4 network is still intact.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by xsrvx:
    I too am no expert in WINS but I have heard a lot of people have a lot of problems with WINS on NT4 and it doesn't look like it is going to get better soon.
    I hear these people have to destroy their WINS databases and reconstruct them occasionally.
    If the WINS servers are on member servers it would probably be wiser to upgrade them to Windows 2000 so your WINS is more stable and your NT4 network is still intact.

</font>
    thanks for the input. i do have plans to scrup the DB, lots of eronious entries. in my environment this needs to wait for a weekend so it is on my "to-do" list.

i also agree about the win2000, and that to is in our migration plans for this year. as of right now we don't have all the pieces in place to take this step.

so, right now i need to do some house cleaning and keep things running best i can till all the pieces are in place.

------------------