[RESOLVED] scandisk auto runs at boot-up ?

Thread: [RESOLVED] scandisk auto runs at boot-up ?

John Gardner

Angry scandisk auto runs at boot-up ?

Please help, when I shut down or restart my system automatically runs scandisk ?
    asus P5-A mb/ AMD K6-2 350mhz./ 64mg ram/
    8gig hd/ Win.98. John gardner
    [email protected]

Lightbulb

Hi.
    Try this:
    Go to "START" then "RUN" and type "MSCONFIG" and press ENTER.
    Go to "ADVANCED" and find "DISABLE FAST SHUTDOWN". Tick it and press "OK". When you exit MSCONFIG, the system will ask you if you want it to restart. Press "YES". That's it.
    Probably SCANDISK won't run at the next restart.

Good luck

------------------
    [email protected]
    The wandering Odysseus of the web.

Mustang

you can also try removing scandisk from the startup portion of the menu
    if its in that portion it will run whenever you start the system

Bane

John,

This same thing happened to me once. It occurred nearly every reboot, but I did notice that about one in 10 reboots, it wouldn't autorun scandisk.(Which I found extremely odd to me!)

Finally I shutdown to DOS and ran scandisk myself, plus I did a *SURFACE* scan... to my amazement, scandisk reported that my boot sector had gone bad, it marked it, finished up, I rebooted, and have never had that problem happen again. Don't know whether or not this is what you are experiencing, but it might be.

Just as an interesting side note: this same drive on rare occasions also wouldn't spin up when first powered on, the head would get stuck on the bad boot sector and the drive wouldn't spin up unless I power it off, then back one quickly, or tapped on the side of the drive. Running scandisk also fixed this problem.

------------------
    Brandon Gresham
    Murray, UT

DaveP

Talking

If you install the powertoys (tweak)from your win 98 cd run tweak and go under the boot section, you can set up scandisk any way you like.

Air Ick

Cool

Is this the Jon Gardner from Sylvan Way? If so, this is Eric Glomstad. If scandisk is bothering you every time you boot up your computer do this, it doesn't require any 3rd party software. Attrib your MSDOS.SYS and take away its attributes. Open up the file in notepad and under the [options] area enter a new line and type in: "Autoscan=" (without quotes) and then one of the following digits: 1, for notifing the user beofre running scandisk at boot up, 2, which runs scandisk without warning, or 0, which never runs scandisk at bootup. In your case, type in "autoscan=0".