MS Exchange connectivity problem

Thread: MS Exchange connectivity problem

Post MS Exchange connectivity problem

One of our customers is having a problem with their Exchange server. Their network is distributed between three buildings. (They are all about 100 feet apart and have cable run to each of them.) One of the buildings has all three of their servers (ASD1 is their PDC and MAS200 server, ASD2 is their backup server, and EXCHANGE is their Exchange server.)

In one of the other buildings is a computer that user JOHNQ uses. Upon trying to setup johnq's Exchange account we encounter this problem. went to the Mail applet in control panel and proceeded to setup the Exchange account. specified the correct name of the Exchange server, and types in johnq as the user. When we click on the "check name" button, the computer just kind of hangs there. After a while we try ctrl+alt+del and find that the mail setup is not responding. we close it, and then this message appears:

The Microsoft Exchange server is not responding.

This same problem occurs on another machine in the building. (Though I this machine's user is still able to access her email.) The problem does NOT occur in another building. Regardless, johnq's computer can still access the network just fine, including the computer named EXCHANGE!

I checked to ensure that all services on the Exchange server are running. We then rebooted the Exchange server to no avail. Any ideas on what could be going on here?

Um... apart from Exchange just being crap (sorry, couldnt resist) when you input the name of the exchange box in the mail account settings, have you tried putting in the IP address instead? Could be an issue with the DNS settings on that machine.
    [email protected]

http://forum.hot4s.com.au - Hot 4's & Performance cars

Are you getting an application error in eventvwr? I would check that and I would also strongly consider reinstalling outlook/office on that computer.

Is this Exchange 5.x? I doubt there's a problem on the server side. Exchange relies heavily on RPC which has a tendency to hang NT because it doesn't know whether to use netbios, named pipes or windows sockets. Most of the time that problem exists on the client side.

Exchange 2000 eliminates netbios (unless you want/need to run it) so that helps. Personally, I like exchange. I think it's one of the apps that MS got right.
    Deliver me from Swedish furniture!

Sure it's looking for the right exchange server? Try adding a new server and see if it can find it. i have had issues where the machine was not configed properly and the incorrect server was in there.

[quote]Originally posted by EvilCabbage:
    <strong>Um... apart from Exchange just being crap (sorry, couldnt resist) when you input the name of the exchange box in the mail account settings, have you tried putting in the IP address instead? Could be an issue with the DNS settings on that machine.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Exchange client/Outlook doesn't use DNS to connect to Exchange server.
    DON'T PANIC

[quote]Originally posted by iateyourcat:
    <strong>Are you getting an application error in eventvwr? I would check that and I would also strongly consider reinstalling outlook/office on that computer.

Is this Exchange 5.x? I doubt there's a problem on the server side. Exchange relies heavily on RPC which has a tendency to hang NT because it doesn't know whether to use netbios, named pipes or windows sockets. Most of the time that problem exists on the client side.

Exchange 2000 eliminates netbios (unless you want/need to run it) so that helps. Personally, I like exchange. I think it's one of the apps that MS got right.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Thank god! Someone who knows what they're talking about!
    DON'T PANIC

[quote]Originally posted by ilovetheusers:
    <strong>Sure it's looking for the right exchange server? Try adding a new server and see if it can find it. i have had issues where the machine was not configed properly and the incorrect server was in there.</strong><hr></blockquote>

He said there were only three servers in the company: PDC, BDC and Exchange.
    DON'T PANIC