Ok,
This one was asked of me and I wasn't absolutely sure so I figured I'd get some input from the group (usually always get something insightful here).
Small company had a fire in one room (of course the room holding the server, phone equipment, router, etc).
The sprinkler system came on and saturated the entire office (overnight fire). I am told there was 3 inches of water. There were some computers sitting on the floor. It was also told that one that was sitting on the floor was left on and still running.
However, there was smoke damage throughout the office. There was soot over everything including the computers. I was told that one computer was opened and there was black caked over everything inside.
Since the computer are left running overnight the fans were running so indeed they probably inhaled the smoke.
So insurance company is coming in but would you render all computers useless or atleast those that are black inside? They don't want to run into problems down the road.
I personally have never had to deal with a fire and electronics (thank heavens). However if it was my personal computer, tv, etc I would probably run it.
Does anyone have personal experience with the damage that smoke can do or doesn't do to electronics, specifically computers? How about water damage, can a computer get wet dry off and run normally?

Have a Good Day!