lantastic

Thread: lantastic

Post lantastic

I posted this under networking but havent gotten a response yet...and i always get quick responses here, so i am reposting! sorry!
    Is anyone familiar with lantastic? I have a client who owns a video store with 2 old 486 computers peer to peer network using bnc cable. One computer is the "server" and the other a dumb terminal that is directed to the "server" They run a program that was custom made for them, and the guy that originally set them up years ago is MIA. The problem they are having is that the dumb terminal keeps going off the network. It will be sitting there and all of a sudden a message pops up saying cannot find drive d (which is the server) But only every so often (mostly when they are real busy and need the other system - as murphys law would have it.)I replaced the dumb terminal because the cmos was bad and couldnt be replaced and cloned the drive...this was a couple weeks ago. It was up and running for 2-3 wks no problems. I have tested the cable, even re-routed it to avoid any pinches etc. But then the other day it went out again and they said that the main frame had locked up and the printer wouldnt work...
    turning off the dummy and rebooting the main one solved it temporarily, but my poor client was on vacation and got a billion phone calls from her employees when all this was happening. I feel really bad because nothing seems to work. what i want to do is change the cabling...but that would involve installing 2 new network cards, and the drivers and I'm kinda weary doing that without knowing how it will effect the lantastic program. any suggestions would be great
    thanx
    --------------------

"You can't turn a Volkswagon into a Mercedes!!"

Murphy was an ancestor, of this I am convinced!!

Hmmm, I have never heard of it. What use do you have for a 486 anyway??
    If at first you dont succeed, sit down and take a break.
    (Breaking things is not good!)

Hardware Notes - http://www.hardwarenotes.com

I haven't heard that name in a long time... What Version of "Lantastic" is still running!!!??

for resoucres check out : http://www.spartacom.com/tsfaq.nsf/F...0&Collapse=8#8

I don't have any use for a 486 but my client does. Its a video store running a dos based program so they have no need for anything more. why spend 2000 dollars on a new system when this one does just fine>?

Maybe it's me, but the purpose of this message board is to help out fellow techs in need of a quick answer. The more I read, the more I see... the snippier these posts are getting. It really bothers me that my "fellow techs" have the same attitude as my old boss did - Similiar to that of a shady used car salesman. Instead of trying to work out a problem, which usually there is a simple solution to, you just resolve the issue by selling them something they don't need. My motto: If it ain't broke don't fix it. I mean sometimes yes, that is the solution if you have wasted several hours trying to find a solution and that would be the least time consuming and cost concious way then hey ya gotta do what you gotta do. But the first reply to my post was
    so lame. I mean what was the point? Why waste your time and energy replying when you are not giving a helpful suggestion>?

I have quite the collection of 486 computers laying around. Granted most of them can't support the new technology...but if all I want to run is one dos program and a printer why am I gonna buy a thousand dollar computer? Just answer that. Thats all I want to know.
    I think some of these new techs just starting out in the biz should take some lessons in etiquitte. I don't mean that in a harsh way either. (And I don't mean all of you) I've been in the business for about 12 yrs now, and I have learned that honesty is what sells. I don't know, times are changing...maybe I'm just getting old!
    I know I'm gonna get flamed for this but hey I'm a big girl...bring it on...

Originally posted by Elacious:
    I know I'm gonna get flamed for this but hey I'm a big girl...bring it on...
    Hey, you're absolutely right about these type of posts. And anybody who wants to flame you for telling them to get lost can get stuffed.

Now to help you with your problem. You say these computers are running LANtastic, are they using a specific operating system to run their video-store software on? (like DOS or Windows 3.1) What type of NIC's are being used right now? What type of cabling is used between the two machines? I would agree with you on saving the NIC's, as you'll have a lot of trouble finding the right drivers even for different older used cards. The other thing that comes to mind is that one or both of the PC's may have bad RAM. Or maybe the software has bugs in it. You're in a tough spot, I hope you can fix the problem.

Cool

I have had this problems too many times. The kicker is that the cause and solution have never been the same. I had a dummy that was plugged into the same AC line as the thermostat for an air conditioner. If the Air Cond started hard it would knock the dummy off line. I had one situation where a flourscent light had a bad ballast or starter and when it would act up it would wreck havoc with the P to P network. I have had dragging HDs create the same problem. I had one system that all I did was to blow, vaccum and clean the fingers and slots for the NICs. I have found intermitent Memory problems, weak power supply problems. And yes you can have a bad NIC. Last but not least is a corrupted OS. Standing back thinking will be your best tool. I think the key here is INTERMITENT. Is there anything that could cause vibration or bumping of the system. Is someone playing games. Is there a UPS? These kinds of problems give true meaning to Murphys Law. See if you can create some adnormalties ie; bumping, tapping on case etc etc. Get all the information you can about when it happened, what was going on. Hope this may give you some ideas whereto look. Good Luck
    If life is a bitch, then what is death? I believe that I will take the bitch...

Question

My boss was a HUGE Lantastic guy back when they were still a viable networking solution and we still have a few clients that use the Lantastic software. I'm afraid I've only worked on three networks using this software, but I think I can answer a few of your questions about it. 1) It's compatible with a large number of the older network cards, BUT the only ones we've ever used in the shop are Lantastic specific cards, that is ones that were made specifically for Lantastic. I did, however see one of our clients set up with Lantastic using plain ol' NE2000 drivers under Windows 3.1. I think your idea to replace the network cards is a good one, and if worse comes to worst you can always re-install the original ones. Best of luck with this, the Lantastic company no longer makes or supports this networking OS.
    Perseverance in all matters.

I'm sorry, Elacious.
    About quick responce - You see, sometimes for many of European techies it may be almost impossible due to different time zones...
    I understand Your feelings... Many of "new tech" have similar way of thinking - why I have to spend time on oldely PC, if problem can be solved by buying new computer system?
    If customer ready to pay for Your time - You should be shamed, if You can fix his problem only by buying new stuffs. Customer can be confused and can think about possibility of calling for help to another tech,who can fix it. It's my personal point of view, though.

Well, now about problem...
    You didn't say anything about version of LANtastic and OS customer running...
    I worked with LANtastic version5 a lot. Even now from time to time I'm using boot floppies with LANtastic5 installed for copying files from one an old PC to another one (one disk - as server,another - as client).
    LANtastic5 has one serious problem,though - client cann't use FAT32 partitions located on server as network drive,only as local drive.If You're trying to access FAT32 partition on server,every time You getting
    "cannot find drive X" message. On FAT16 and CDROM all working O'K,though.

- Another option You should check - is server's settings. Check number of maximum allowed users on server and increase cashe buffers to speed up work.
    - check "startnet.bat" file settings and make sure, what network cards uses exactly these settings (after installation into startnet.bat written settings by default,which could be different from what network card in fact uses).By the way,what card customer uses?

- Also it may be unreliable cable network system itself. Check all connectors again.
    Disconnect one of T-connectors from network card (terminators should be connected on each end).Using Ohm-meter check resistance of cable system. With both connected terminators should be 25 Ohm (50 Ohm/2).
    With one only terminator - 50 Ohm. If resistance lower than 25 Ohm - You have either bad network card or shorted somewhere cable. Disconnect all network cards and check it again. Unreliable BNC connector (badly crimped) and/or T-connector could cause problem as well.
    - Check BIOS settings on both PCs and make sure,what there is no any conflicts. You said
    about bad CMOS in one of PCs.For example... If one of network cards uses IRQ3, it can cause conflict because PC have by default COM2 (IRQ3)enabled.

Please, post bit more info, if it not help...

Hey...
    sorry about my snapping earlier i must have had PMS(plus i was real frustrated) hehe
    anywayz...just wanted to say that I am now officially incorporated as of today (woohoo)and one of my new biz partners is a master at networking.(and lantastic certified to boot) I brought him to this job to see what his thoughts were. The kewlest thing was the problems occurred while we were there (which all of you know this never ever happens!!) So it worked out perfect because none of the employees could ever tell me exactly what happened. Turns out its not a problem with the network at all, but a glitch in the software database. This program sucks really bad so if any of you know of a good program that can be used for video store rentals let me know. Thanx for the posts
    BTW the OS is MSDOS 6.22 and not 100% sure but i think lantastic 3? (like i said i know nothing about lantastic and didnt even know there was more than one version!)

I've got a Lantastic 6.0 kit with manuals laying around if you need it.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson

How are your Access skills? I once wrote an access databases for a rental store. I used Access 2.0. The store has gone under and I don't think I could find a copy. But it was not too dificult to make. You should try it. Good way of making money.
    <a href="http://www.el-mono.com" target="_blank">www.el-mono.com</a>