[RESOLVED] Packardbell 810 mother board

Thread: [RESOLVED] Packardbell 810 mother board

CDL

Unhappy Packardbell 810 mother board

Ok guys here the prob.
    I have a packardbell 810 motherboard and someone wants the RAM upgraded to 128MB.
    Well I consulted the motherboard manual, compliments of packardbell's support site, and found that the highst RAM that can be added is two pc66 64mb chips. Well i bought two pc66 64mb ram chips (Mosel) and installed them and only get beeps. I have also installed other ram chips such as 64mb pc100 & pc133 and even tried some 32mb pc66 and for some reason it never id's the size correctly and some doesnt even reconize its there. In the manual i found that pb only wants u to use their ram part#965174 which is $200. Can someone please help. Thanx

Unfortunately many brand-name manufacturers only want specific brands, speeds, or kinds of RAM installed in their machine. I don't know for sure if this is the problem you are facing but Packard Bell is definitely a brand name prone to this sort of trouble and I have seen similar problems here in my store. The problem is with many older systems (IBM and Compaq are good examples) the manufacturer, thinking they are being innovators on the cutting edge, use some new standard for RAM (like the old 5-volt). Then the rest of the world goes another direction and you are stuck trying to put brand new "generic" sticks in and finding an incompatibility problem.

One other possibility is you may need to upgrade the BIOS to get it to recognize the RAM properly.

Dunno if any of this will help, it is just educated guesses. If anyone else answers confidently, they are probably gonna be closer on the mark than I am. Good luck!
    Flash! Don't heckle the supervillain!

I agree with window washer. Most of the time with proprietary companies, Packard Hell being one of them you need specific memory. Go to crucial http://www.crucial.com/ and find memory designed for your system.
    Must not strangle users. Repeat. Must not strangle users.