Which Harddrives are the best???
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Which Harddrives are the best???

Post Which Harddrives are the best???

I need a new Harddrive (IDE ATA 100, 7200rpm). Can anyone recommend any particular make based on speed, performance, reliability and above all quality. My 2 month old harddrive is finished. Think its the spindle as it is making sounds like an old car trying to start on a cold morning. Even the diskmanager tool cannot install it and aborts the operation.

Cheers!
    I have a proper toolkit now complete with a little torch!!!

2 months old? shouldn't it be under warranty
    I have nothing bad to say about Maxtor right now
    Where's that smoke coming from ?

Not this topic again....

I agree with CTRLALTDEL, the drive sounds like it needs to be returned under warranty.

There are plenty of other threads where the discussion of "the best hard drive" have literally been beaten to death. Mods do us a favour and close this topic, and refer us to the last "best hard drive" thread. Thanks.

Its is under warranty and it will be going back but I wont be ordering another damded IBM GXP75 40.1 Gb, thats for sure.

IBM 7200 drives rule!

Cool

I would agree that IBM GXP drives are the best. Have also had good luck with Western Digital 7200RPM drives even though I've heard a lot of people rag on them. Somewhere I heard that they are actually IBM drives with Western's cacheing schemes on the controller. I wish I knew more about Maxtor drives. The owner here will only buy IBM and WD drives.

Originally posted by MacGyver:
    Not this topic again....

I agree with CTRLALTDEL, the drive sounds like it needs to be returned under warranty.

There are plenty of other threads where the discussion of "the best hard drive" have literally been beaten to death. Mods do us a favour and close this topic, and refer us to the last "best hard drive" thread. Thanks.
    I am aware there have been simalar topics posted on this subject in the past. The point of me starting this topic was to try and catch any very recent issues or feed back regarding problems with certain manufacturers HDD that may have only just come to light. It is my opinion that a forum such as this should continue to raise issues that have been raised before, no matter how tedious in order to keep informed of issues (that were not know yesterday or last week) which may lead to problems and unnecessary expence and waste of time before we click the mouse on the "buy now" icons. There are also new members joining this site every day that have missed past postings and may be appreciative of such postings and find them useful.

Originally posted by MacGyver:
    Not this topic again....

I am aware there have been simalar topics posted on this subject in the past. The point of me starting this topic was to try and catch any very recent issues or feed back regarding problems with certain manufacturers HDD that may have only just come to light. It is my opinion that a forum such as this should continue to raise issues that have been raised before, no matter how tedious in order to keep informed of issues (that were not know yesterday or last week) which may lead to problems and unnecessary expence and waste of time before we click the mouse on the "buy now" icons. There are also new members joining this site every day that have missed past postings and may be appreciative of such postings and find them useful. My advice to anyone who is un-happy with certain topics is not click on the subject and enter the discussion.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

IBM all the way!
    next I would say Seagate

[QUOTE] I am aware there have been simalar topics posted on this subject in the past. The point of me starting this topic was to try and catch any very recent issues or feed back regarding problems with certain manufacturers HDD that may have only just come to light. It is my opinion that a forum such as this should continue to raise issues that have been raised before, no matter how tedious in order to keep informed of issues (that were not know yesterday or last week) which may lead to problems and unnecessary expence and waste of time before we click the mouse on the "buy now" icons. There are also new members joining this site every day that have missed past postings and may be appreciative of such postings and find them useful[QUOTE]

If there are new issues I agree they should be posted but this thread is not about new issues it is simply "whats the best hard drive" and that topic has been posted many times so I have to agree with the others.
    If a newbie has missed these postings it does not take 2 seconds to click the search button and find those threads.
    I do not agree that issues that have been mentioned before should be brought up over and over again periodically.

[quote]Originally posted by xsrvx:
    IBM all the way!
    next I would say Seagate

[QUOTE] I am aware there have been simalar topics posted on this subject in the past. The point of me starting this topic was to try and catch any very recent issues or feed back regarding problems with certain manufacturers HDD that may have only just come to light. It is my opinion that a forum such as this should continue to raise issues that have been raised before, no matter how tedious in order to keep informed of issues (that were not know yesterday or last week) which may lead to problems and unnecessary expence and waste of time before we click the mouse on the "buy now" icons. There are also new members joining this site every day that have missed past postings and may be appreciative of such postings and find them useful

If there are new issues I agree they should be posted but this thread is not about new issues it is simply "whats the best hard drive" and that topic has been posted many times so I have to agree with the others.
    If a newbie has missed these postings it does not take 2 seconds to click the search button and find those threads.
    I do not agree that issues that have been mentioned before should be brought up over and over again periodically.

I do see your point to an extent and maybe my choice of words "Whats the best harddrive???" for this topic could have been something more professionally sounding like " Are there any current issues regarding HDD I should be aware of before I choose any particular brand???" but they are only words and will ultimately lead to similar feedback. I can only repeat what I said before and suggest that if anyone can't be bothered with a topic listed they should just ignore the post. I would also point out that this topic has been viewed by 78 people at the time I wrote this responce so it is still a topic of interest to quite a few people like the other currently listed topic "Whats the best motherboard" which is a topic brought up many times over and is 7 pages long up to date.

I would have agreed with you regarding IBM has first choice but I am not so sure now due to the experience I have had with this 2 month old IBM HDD that didn't very long at all before developing a serious fault. The HDD I am using at the moment is an old Seagate and is still going strong after 4 years hard slog and proven to be good quality and reliable.

didn't last very long at all before developing a serious fault

Exclamation

The April 2001 issue of Ziff Davis...Smart Business has the Maxtor DiamondMax 80 listed as it's Editor's Pick. It says the 80GB drive is the highest desktop hard drive available. Cost: $310.

Having said that, I also like IBM's and SeaGates drives best.

DonJ
    I'm good enough.
    I'm smart enough.
    And doggone it,
    People like me!

A couple things to point out.. Hard drives are mechanicaldevices, and hence, fail more often than simple semiconductor-only devices that have no moving parts. Everyone has their preference in hard drives but the fact of the matter is, the bigger and faster all hard drives get, the more prone to failure as well. It's surprising that most manufacturers, if not all still offer a 3 year warranty on them.

The second thing I wanted to mention is that it seems to me the forums post the most recent posts at the bottom of the thread. If you want to look at the most recent post and there are several pages, go to the last page of the thread. (I could be wrong, as I am new to the windrivers forum)

You may want to check the voltages on your power supply and have your power checked if you have had more than one drive crash on you in a short time span. A hard drive crash could be indicitave of a faulty power supply or a surge through the power supply.
    Sometimes the most difficult problems have the most obvious solutions - they just get overlooked.

Gimpy

Thanks for the links and input regarding my query. Just thought I'd post this extract from an article I saw on a review via a link from storage review.

"Also working against IBM were its customers. Later in it's life, the Deskstar 75GXP has had some serious quality assurance issues, as consumers often complained about compatibility issues with some motherboards and even in some cases that drives were failing over time. Apparently, quality of the Deskstar 75GXP drives varied greatly from the country where it was manufactured, as IBM out sources their manufacturing to different countries. Even today, the debate still rages on between users who have had great experiences with IBM drives and people who hate them"

This is what one can expect when companys outsource in order to cut costs and could offer an explanation as to why my brandnew 75GXP went faulty within two months and only having been used very little as my computer has been off line while I deal with other hardware probs.

Thanks again!