[RESOLVED] WinMW or Win98se?

Thread: [RESOLVED] WinMW or Win98se?

SNAFU

Resolved [RESOLVED] WinMW or Win98se?

I run sin98se and linux 6.1 at home, but I'm thinking about tyin' something new. At work we run 98se and 95. But I'm wondering whats a better o/s WinME, or w2k or even NT 4 for that matter? Or should I just stick with win98se?

------------------
    *cough*cough*...that's supposed to happen!

dumb blonde

i have found that win2k is the best chioce out of microsoft programs i have ran across some games that will not run in windows 2000 try a dual boot system windows 2000 and windows 98se

------------------
    what will go wrong today???? never mind going back to bed

condor

WinME is one bad O/S !

you can triple boot if you want (i did for a while)
    Win2k - main O/S
    RedHat Linux 7
    Win98se (for things that don't work in Win2k)

Now I'm only using Win2k.

I have another computer for Linux.

------------------
    Computers do exactly what you tell them to do - not exactly what you want them to do ...

mogul218

Angry

Whatever you do, don't get Windows ME. It's good for nothing. All bells and whistles with no backbone. Win 2K Pro is what I use mainly with a 98SE dual boot. Probably the best combo. Everything I hear about Whistler lately makes me more skeptical about future Microsoft Products. Seems like Bill Gates want's to know what's in everyones machine.

------------------
    Why oh why did I buy Windows ME? Thank god I have Win 2K & Win 98 SE!

Crowbar

Same here running dual boot win2k pro and 98se. WinMe still buggy and has many driver problems for adaptor cards. Give ME some time until bugs are fixed. Frankly any fairly new os has so much hardware and software it must be compatible with that an initial release is really a final stage beta. Win2k is much better for security and networking but has more compatiblity problems with games and other software.

I prefer runing an XT with Dos 3.3 than to Install WinME...

------------------
    It Works Better if you Plug it in, It Works far better if you Turn it ON!
    Real stupidity beats Artifical Intelligence

MacGyver

Lightbulb

Win98SE is probably the best for home use because it supports all the latest games and has lots of driver support. Please consult my signature line below before you do anything.

If you want to experiment I would suggest doing it on a different hard drive than your current setup, so you can go back if you don't like the way things turned out.

------------------
    If it ain't broken, don't try to fix it, or it WILL need fixing!

[This message has been edited by MacGyver (edited February 08, 2001).]

MS-Tech

I gotta agree with Gabriel on this one <g>

Windows ME is the Nintendo of MS operating systems. If you are a developer, you can pretty much hang it up on trying to get any work done on WinME 'cause it does not support MTS or PWS. If you are a tech, you'll grow to hate it 'cause you can't undo the stupid mistakes end-users make by using the tried & true "boot it up in DOS & roll back the registry method" (unless you use the hack available at http://www.geocities.com/mfd4life_2000/)

In short, it's a great OS for people who have yet to evolve opposable thumbs, but my personal opinion is that the few new toys it comes with don't justify the upgrade. If you want a real OS, get Windows 2000 (or for the linux crowd, get Slackware 7)

98SE is still the best choice for home users.

btw . . .

If there's anybody out there interested in starting up a user group for techs who wanna learn how to really turbo-charge Win9x, drop me a line.

-mike

Windows 2k is awesome for Microsoft - there is even a service pack to configure it to run games! Windows ME is yet another attempt by microsoft to make the TRS-80 look good

------------------
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.

The answer to your question is: 00110100 00110010