Refreshing memory?

Thread: Refreshing memory?

Post Refreshing memory?

I know there's a thread in 'tech tales'
    today about shutting down vs. leaving the
    computer on. (I thought my question would get lost on page 5 or 6.)

Isn't there an issue about restarting the
    computer regularly to refresh the Ram?
    (makes sense to me)
    I didn't see this mentioned at all today.

it really depends on the o/s and programs you run. if you have progs that aren't coded well and don't release all the dynamic memory allocated during runtime, when you close the progs the memory is still spoken for even though there is no prog using it. the only way to reclaim it is by restarting or shutting down... easy way to tell, check sys resources in performance tab, run your progs, close em', check sys resources again.

------------------
    "What does it all mean, Dr. Holmes?"
    "Ahh, I can not tell. I have no data."
    "What does it all mean, Dr. Holmes?"
    "Ahh, I can not tell. I have no data."

"Psssst...hey you...don't tell anyone i told you, but
    -l ds:0100 2 1 12 gets you FAT."

IT Len

What you're discussing is one of the major differences between windows NT/2000 and 9X platforms. NT based OS's perform so much better [in system resource usage] because they "release" resources that are no longer needed. The 9X OS holds on to the resources until something else needs them, kind of like a little brat hanging on to as many toys as his fat little arms will hold. I think most people will tell you that rebooting, and "flushing" the RAM seems to always make more of a difference in Win 95 through ME. It may help a little in NT and 2K, but I tend to think the improvement is almost not noticeable.

But keep in mind, that even that is dependant on willeray's comment...what programs you tend to run.

[This message has been edited by IT Len (edited February 08, 2001).]

x_789

Well With 9x machines I think it is good to cold boot the system every couple days that helps keep the unwanted shut downs at bay. Because of mem not getting released. As far as Nt its pretty stable. A little note for anyone that works with Novell when ever you shut a server down Really I mean Really leave that puppy off atleast a minute or two it holds stuff in that memory for a long time. X

------------------
    No really That paper thingy you took out of the box with all the words on it was not packing material its called a "MANUAL"