[RESOLVED] Soyo 6BA+IV and highpoint drivers

Thread: [RESOLVED] Soyo 6BA+IV and highpoint drivers

Nrgtech

Post Soyo 6BA+IV and highpoint drivers

Ok I'm scratching my balding head on this one...
    A little sys info first
    Soyo 6BA+IV
    maxtor diamondmax 7200 rpm ata66
    Soundblaster Live! value
    Windows 98 version 4.10
    ATI Rage Fury
    This being the first system I've built utilizing the ata66 interface I have some questions regarding the drivers....
    Firstly, the mobo has 4 ide channels...1 + 2 support up to ata33 and 3 + 4 support up to ata66. The system failed to recognize the hard drive when it was connected to either channel 3 or 4 (message indicated primary master failure). When I reinstalled to 1 or 2 the drive worked fine and allowed me to format and load the OS. I then proceeded to install all of the hardware assuming 3 + 4 would not work until the Highpoint drivers were loaded. I loaded the highpoint drivers last and was prompted to reboot-at this point the system failed to fully load windows ( I was presented with a fatal exception 0E error). I was forced to reboot to safe mode, and uninstall the drivers. Windows then loaded fine and continued to do so. I visited highpoint's website and saw that there were some new drivers available (version 1.20) and the release notes indicated there was a problem with maxtor 20.4 diamondmax drives and this had been corrected. I installed the new drivers and met with the same error. On the suggestion of a friend I left the highpoint drivers installed but before rebooting I switched the drive cable to Ide 3 thinking perhaps the drive would now boot there...no go.
    If i press F1 at the Primary master failure screen the Hpt bios does show the drive detected and lists it properly but the system hangs on the screen that says Verifying DMI pool data.... I reconnected the Drive to IDE 1, uninstalled the highpoint drivers in safe mode and rebooted-all ok. I did notice however that there are 3 devices sharing IRQ 11 (videocard,soundcard and USB controller)with no conflicts, and it occured to me that perhaps I had an IRQ conflict when the HPT drivers were installed. The system configuration screen though indicated that IRQ 5 was being used for the HPT drivers (after I reinstalled and removed them AGAIN!)
    On what might be a connected problem I cannot get any games running in OpenGL mode with all the latest drivers and versions installed (Q3,Tribes and open Gl all running in latest versions)-I had the same hardware running on a different mobo running fine-OpenGl worked great before!
    Any ideas,resolutions or comments would be VERY welcomed as I'm out of ideas...
    Btw Soyo tech support proved very frustrating and generally useless..I did try a different Harddrive (same make and model and achieved the same results so I'm confident its the HPT366....
    Thanks for your time.....

------------------
    I used to be uncertain but now I'm not so sure.....

Nrgtech

Ok I'm hoping that someone can still assist me here...here's an update...
    I physically removed the Soundblaster Live card,uninstalled the drivers and installed the Highpoint (1.22) drivers..The system booted ok so I moved the Live card to a diff Pci slot and ...success!
    No conflicts,Windows starts, but when I move the drive cable to IDE 3 or 4 still it wont boot-I get the message Primary master failure and the Cd (on the same ribbon) is not being detected as well...
    The weird thing is...if I press F1 and continue the HD is recognized by the HPT controller and identified correctly the system then hangs at Verifying DMI pool data....
    Any ideas are welcomed!

------------------

Exclamation

there are 4 physical ide connection on the main board?? If not then I would seggest taht ide 3,4 are on the 1,2 but use a ATA 66 cable. THe BIOS may reconize both types at the same time, but wit hteh wrong cabl3 (ATA33) the ATA66 drive may prodice some weird errors for you. As the the 3 devices on IRQ 11 bet you that they are all PCI or AGP or a combination. I haven ever seen a board with 4 IDE channels, mostly because each channel needs its one IRQ which realy limmits you. However if this is not the case plz send the manufacturers WWW addy.

------------------
    Windows (N): A 32 Bit patch to a 16 bit graphical interface based on a 8 bit operating system originaly encoded for a 4 bit processor writen by a 2 bit company that cant stand 1 bit of competition.
    Windows (N): A 32 Bit patch to a 16 bit graphical interface based on a 8 bit operating system originaly encoded for a 4 bit processor writen by a 2 bit company that cant stand 1 bit of competition.

Nrgtech

WWW.soyousa.com
    soyo 6ba+IV
    I am using the ATA66 cable...works fine in either ide1 or 2 but not in 3 or 4 (which is where the cable is Supposed to be used). The highpoint drivers are on IRQ 5 all by themselves so im pretty sure that there isnt any conflicts anymore....just cant use the drive in ata66 mode

------------------

Menace

Lightbulb

There should be a BIOS setting which will allow you to change the boot sequence to use the ATA-66 drive as the boot device. On ABit motherboards, you set the boot device to "ext" and then under that set "ext" to mean the ATA-66 controller.

Also, if you are not using one or more of the IDE channels, you should disable unused ones to free up an IRQ.

Good Luck!