[RESOLVED] Proxy problem

Thread: [RESOLVED] Proxy problem

shorddpimp

Resolved [RESOLVED] Proxy problem

I'm trying to connect to a proxy server on my network to gain internet access through a cable modem. The proxy server is running on a Windows NT Server running Backoffice. My network is set up with a PDC and a BDC which serves as the proxy server. Now, the machine that is not logging into the proxy server is an NT server laptop set up as a PDC. This machine is set up pretty much identical to the other PDC, however, I still cannot log into the proxy server. I have the proxy client loaded on this machine but it's still not working. Any ideas as to what direction to go in to troubleshoot this thing.

Oh, one more kicker. I can connect to the WWW perfectly from this machine. I just can't access FTP, IRC, or any messaging services. I also can't get to my e-mail through Outlook.

Chris

Unhappy

My suggestion is to shoot yourself.

I have been battling with a laptop, proxy server and www access for a while. . . there is always one system on the network that makes ya look like an idiot huh? A win98 laptop that insists on start DUN when you start the browser. . . anyway. . .Netscape mail will work fine if you use IP addresses instead of domain names for the servers. But I have yet to get Outlook to work using dozens of different configurations etc. (even adjusting Outlook, exchange and msproxy .ini files.)

In short, if you can figure it out, let me know! I feel your pain.

Seriously though, try using the actually IP address instead of the domain name for FTP & stuff. That might worked on some systems.

(Newbie note: Ping the domain to get the IP address.)

[This message has been edited by ellingtond (edited February 17, 2000).]

shorddpimp

I agree. I've tried using the IP addresses on this machine and still no cigar. The proxy client will come up and refresh the proxy as \\proxy but when I reboot and come back up I still have the same symptoms. The strangest thing is that it will get to the WWW, but not anything else. I'm trying to come up with some other ideas, but I'm at a loss.

Chris

jwilson

have you tried using a 3rd party ftp cliet such as CuteFTP?