d:/not accessable drive not ready

Thread: d:/not accessable drive not ready

Post d:/not accessable drive not ready

We just formated our computer and reloaded Win98. Now, it will not read our D:/ It shows up everywhere it is supposed to. The D drive is a Sony DVD--DDU220E. It is set to the Secondary Master -- our HD is the primary master. I have already scanreg/fix at the command prompt. I don't know what to do now. Help please. I have read the post on this board up to page 31 -- I have tried most of the fixes suggested. How do I find out if it is the drive. Our computer is a Sony mini-tower --- I don't even know if it is replaceable. Arggggg Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

I don't know if you have already considered these things, but here goes:

-I assume the drive is ok in device manager.
    -I assume the drive is jumpered to master on the secondary IDE. If it is and doesn't work, try slave and cable select.
    -Are there real mode (DOS) drivers for it by chance? If so try installing them just to make sure that the drive is somewhat alive.
    -If all else fails try making it a slave to the primary hard drive.
    -If these things don't work after trying it with different CD's, it be broke!!
    -Try a different CD-ROM on the IDE.

Eric Ridenour, CCNA, Net+, A+, APS

If it works in DOS---I put in the start-up disk and the CD and selected 1 and it brought up Win98 start up help---does that mean the drive works?

I don't know what you all mean with the IDI and so forth. How do I check that? And to switch it or make sure it is connected do I open my box to do that?

Thanks for your reply -- I do appreciate it.

My bad. I had not yet installed the Application disks that came with the computer. Once I did that and installed the drivers, and other applications, the DVD is working fine. Once again thanks for your help.

This site has much helpful information. I am glad I signed up. I am sure I will be here again.