[RESOLVED] NT4 Disk partitioning problems

Thread: [RESOLVED] NT4 Disk partitioning problems

H-Bomber

Resolved [RESOLVED] NT4 Disk partitioning problems

Ok, heres the deal. I have got 5 machines that are all identical, the Motherboard and hdd used are as follows:
    Asus P3B-F boards
    13GB IBM 7200 rpm drive (IDE)

Ok, now for the problem. When I try to install NT4 the installation only recognises the drive as an 8GB drive (BIOS recognises full 13Gb on boot up) is 8Gb the most NT4 can recognise? So far I have been told that during the initial installation NT4 recognises this 8GB as the largest boot partition, but I always though the primary partition could not exceed 4GB? Anyway, going on what I had heard I decided to just go with the 4GB partition, and then after verifying with various people on IRC (#Windows) I was told that using Disk administrator I should be able to select the secondary partition and set it using the remaining 9GB .. not to be. NT still persists with the drive being only 8GB total? If anyone has any info about this problem, or can at least verfiy that NT4 doesnt like drives over 8GB, I would appreciate it. I have 4 more machines like this to go, and I'm already thinking about kicking the crap outta the 1st one, thanks.

Urgefor

Lightbulb

If you haven't already, apply the NT service pack update. It's been awhile since I've had to deal with SP3 so I cannot say for sure what it's HDD support will allow but SP4 or SP5 can handle the large HDD's. After applying the ServicePack head back to disk administrator and partition to your hearts delight.

Hope this helps.
    Enjoy!!

Urgefor

Red face

Ack!! Almost forgot. Head here for NT updates: http://www.microsoft.com/ntserver/nt...ds/default.asp

Enjoy!!

H-Bomber

hehe damn im such a dumbasse, thanks for the quick response. I just realised I had forgotten to apply SP5 a half hour so after posting the question One more question though. I have set the primary partition as 4GB using FAT, is it possible to change it to NTFS without corrupting the initial install, or would I need something like Partition magic? Thanks

acord

You should be able to use the CONVERT command from the command prompt. It will convert the contents from FAT16 to NTFS.

at the command prompt type:

convert c: /fs:ntfs

say yes at the prompt and restart. everything will be good to go...
    "no eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn"