[RESOLVED] residual on hdd after fdisk-format

Thread: [RESOLVED] residual on hdd after fdisk-format

dds01

Resolved [RESOLVED] residual on hdd after fdisk-format

recently fdisked-formatted laptop (dell) hdd only to get error message on subsequent win95a (discs) setup:
    "compressed volumk and/or disc cache utility on hdd setup will thus cease"..

No virus on hdd (per NDD).

redid fdkisk (used fdisk/mbr) and format c:/s. same problem again!! how can there be anything on hdd after fdisk/mbr and hi level formatting?..had to use win98 setup disc to install win95 which now workc xcpt MS DOS compatability being used for hdd controller/virtual memory-and 4 entries for hdd controller, 3 of which have !s).

tx

Lightbulb

make sure you did not fdisk to fat32 as win95a can only see a fat 16 partition.

dds01

Wink

nope: did the fdisk to fat 16 !!!

Holly

Arrow

I have similar problems on some PCs at an office that I do some networking for.

Since the format only destroys the FAT and does not wipe out the data, persistent errors (like those you apparently have) can still crop up. There are ways of doing a true system format and completely wiping out all data, but I suggest another more experienced tech give you the instructions for it - it's complicated and I couldn't do it by myself.

Another option though is a Norton (Symantec) utility that comes with Systemworks. This utility wipes out drive space to your specification (ie. low or high level format, just FAT, FAT and data...) Is there anyone you know who loan you a copy of Norton Systemworks to try that before reinstalling?

If you find another way to get around this error, please post the reply. I'll be keeping an eye on this to see if there is an easier way to fix the problems I seem to share.

hack

Talking

sup, try LOW LEVEL FORMATTING the HARD DRIVE
    u can find the program to do that on my web page http://members.xoom.com/4444hacker, filename is MAXLLF.zip
    that's maxtor's utility
    good luck

Darren Wilson

the answer to the post is within the first post itself. Using a Bootdisk with the system files form a later version of Windows thanyou are trying to install onto the system ( i.e. using a Win98 disk to boot from & install Win95 ) will cause this problem. Try making a boot disk using DOS 6.22 or from a system with the same version of 95 and using the CD-ROM driver from the win98 bootdisk ( don't forget the FDISK & FORMAT commands also ). You should not get this problem then.

------------------
    why are our jobs so interesting??????
    visit me @ http://www.ace-computers.co.uk

Boatista

Me thinks me smells a drive overlay...
    Drive overlays can write themselves to the boot track of a disk, and no matter what manner of formatting switches you employ, you cannot remove this overlay. The same thing goes for low-level formatting, which is widely misunderstood. Low level formatting will destroy any pre-recorded information stored within the boot track regarding bad sectors discovered during the burn of the drive at the factory. Low level formatting is NOT just a re-formatting of the drive, it is a HARDWARE formatting of the drive. Although this will likely do the trick, it is not recommended. Instead, include the /U switch in the format command (unconditional) and try to locate the program that was used to install the overlay, to remove it.

Two things. First try using debug script on the drive, then fdisk and format.
    Second, you can download a fat 16 boot disk w/ cd-rom support from www.dell.com,> support > file library > exact file name. The file is: CDENAB.EXE. This file will self-extract to the A: drive and make a Win 95 boot disk.