Managed Hub versus a Switch

Thread: Managed Hub versus a Switch

Post Managed Hub versus a Switch

I am not as strong with networking as I would like to be, so I have a question.

What is the difference between a managed hub and a switch? I know what the difference is between a no frills, basic, econo hub and a switch is, but from what I know, a managed hub sounds just like a switch. Yet, I suspect there is a difference between a managed hub and a switch.

Thanks in advance.
    "Tell me, and I'll forget. Show me, and I'll remember. Involve me, and I'll learn." -- Marla Jones

For a managed switch you get all that statistical information of whats going on. Also you get security that you can dish out on the appliance itself. Plus, I think there is some performance adatives when daisy chaining switches. Thats all I remember, but don't quote me on it.
    To each his/her own.

With a managed hub you can stack them, trunk them, you get snmp and rmon capabilities...

With a hub only one device can talk at a time. With a switch every single device can talk at the same time. A 12 port switch has 12 to 24 times the performance of a 12 port hub.
    Deliver me from Swedish furniture!

Look <a href="http://www.proxim.com/learn/library/guides/gd2001-07-17.html" target="_blank">here</a> for a general description of the differences between a hub and a switch.

Personally, I'd choose a switch every time for its full-duplexing and "MAC index", for lack of a better term.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by a d e p t:
    <strong>Look <a href="http://www.proxim.com/learn/library/guides/gd2001-07-17.html" target="_blank">here</a> for a general description of the differences between a hub and a switch.

Personally, I'd choose a switch every time for its full-duplexing and "MAC index", for lack of a better term.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">

Thanks for the information.
    "Tell me, and I'll forget. Show me, and I'll remember. Involve me, and I'll learn." -- Marla Jones