[RESOLVED] CD-ROM can't read cd's!

Thread: [RESOLVED] CD-ROM can't read cd's!

cyrilthefish

Angry CD-ROM can't read cd's!

i have a samsung 32x cd-rom scr-3231 that will only occasionly read a cd-rom, it doesn't seem to be able to detect the cd in the drive
    anyone got any ideas? (the company i brought it from has gone bankrupt so i can't exchange it)

cyrilthefish

Cool

just looked at my post and decided it looked a bit empty! heres some more info...

the computer and cd-rom are now a year old about 1 month ago the cd-rom started to not read cd's, but would work if you re-booted. now it doesn't work at all. i have added a new cd-rom which works fine

here is how the ide is set up...
    ide primary:
    master - hard disk
    slave - new cd-rom

ide secondary:
    master - hard disk
    slave - old cd-rom

CD-ROMS don't last very long. They seem to be one of things most often to go bad. It seem that smoke and dust will kill and cd-rom player in about a years time. Just try to buy a good used cd-rom player. They are hard to find.

I seem to go through a CD ROM in about 3 - 4 Months !!!
    feel free to comment on my website. <a href="http://www.bytes-back.co.uk" target="_blank">http://www.bytesback.fsbusiness.co.uk</a>

SRXtreme

Allthough this is not a cure for your drive problem if you must replace it, while your in there Install Both Hard drive on IDE channel#1 and both CDs on Channel #2. This improves performance on some/most system

Originally posted by BAD.IRON:
    CD-ROMS don't last very long. They seem to be one of things most often to go bad. It seem that smoke and dust will kill and cd-rom player in about a years time. Just try to buy a good used cd-rom player. They are hard to find.

ShadowOmega

Lightbulb

Originally posted by SRXtreme:
    Allthough this is not a cure for your drive problem if you must replace it, while your in there Install Both Hard drive on IDE channel#1 and both CDs on Channel #2. This improves performance on some/most system

Actually, this actually slows down most systems as the both hard drives are located on the same IDE channel. As far as the CD issues, I have to agree with the consensus that the CD drive may be wearing out. Luckily, they're pretty cheap nowadays, which, combined with the higher speeds, accounts for the much shorter lifespan.

For troubleshooting purposes, make sure the CD drive is recognized by the BIOS and Windows and check the properties (right click My Computer|Properties|Device Manager|Cd-Rom.