PPGA - FCPGA

Thread: PPGA - FCPGA

Post PPGA - FCPGA

Dumb, but I have to ask. What are the differences between a PPGA and FCPGA. Can you use a flip chip in a PPGA board or adapter and a PPGA chip in a FCPGA board?

PPGA (Plastic Pin Grid Array) is for the older celeron chips that used the .25 micron (Silver and black in color) FC-PGA (Flip Chip Pin Grid Array) is for the newer Pentium III Chips and the Newer Celeron chips. Green in color and looks like a wafer. It uses the .18 copper micron. Almost all recent boards support FC-PGA Hope that helps.
    I wonder what happens when I push this button. . . . . .

You can't use a FC-PGA in a PPGA board unless the board has been upgraded (such as the old 810 board from Intel) You can however use a PPGA in a FC-PGA board without a problem. boards are always backward compatible for the most part.

The main difference in the FCPGA cpus is the the cpu core is inverted (on the top instead of the bottom as in PPGA cpus) hence the name flip-chip. The reason for this was to get the cpu die core closer to the heatsink and thus make cooling more effecient. They also use a different manufacturing technique (they use a smaller die size, .18 micron), but they are not copper-based as Janus stated, regardless of the coppermine designation. This was only a code name (actually for the PIII core technology, which is also used in the newer celerons). Hope this clears things up a bit. I think the real incompatability issue is that the newer fcpga chips require a different cpu voltage than ppga chips, because of the smaller cpu die.
    -=If at first you don't succeed... skydiving is not for you=-

¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸Sorry_I_Win,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸

Thanks for the reminder I forgot about the copper part only some of them were copper because of the EB rating I think after them wasn't it?
    I wonder what happens when I push this button. . . . . .

no actually... none of the piii's or celeron chips are copper-based. Niether are any chips from AMD yet. I think the P4 does use a copper fab though, but I'm not 100% sure about that. The upcoming AMD cpu will be copper-based as well. Using copper (rather than the aluminum traces used now) allows for better conductivity and shorter traces, which in turn allows for faster operation.

The "EB" (Enhanced Bus, I believe) just designates that that chip runs at a 133Mhz bus as opposed to the previous 100Mhz bus.
    -=If at first you don't succeed... skydiving is not for you=-

¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸Sorry_I_Win,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸

Okay thanks everyone.