Alternative to everest?

Thread: Alternative to everest?

Alternative to everest?

As much as I would love to use everest I can't since I'm trying to figure out what hardware is coming up as unknown on the Dell E6500 I use at work. Since I'm connected to a domain it will not let me run the software unless I get a professional one. What else can I use to find out what is coming up rogue? I downloaded every driver that Dell offers with no success. Chances are it's something they forgot as this wouldn't be a first for me.
    One Script to rule them all.
    One Script to find them.
    One Script to bring them all,
    and clean up after itself.

I usually find those stubborn last driver is either a Ricoh card, Common Access Card reader, or SMBus driver.
    " I don't like the idea of getting shot in the hand" -Blackie in "Rustlers Rhapsody"

" It is a proud and lonely thing, to be a Stainless Steel Rat." - Slippery Jim DiGriz

Blah, still need to figure out what driver to download though. Even did several different chipset installs incase the base one is lacking but that dind't solve much for me. I'm almost inclined to think it was something on the docking station but that shouldn't happen at all.
    One Script to find them.

I would also suggest going to Device Manager, double clicking on the troublesome hardware, clicking on the details tab, and under the Property drop down box, click it and choose " Hardware Id's" and google the resulting value to see if you can find it that way. This has workied in the past, but be careful you don't choose a shady outfit to down load the needed driver from. Also, if you have another unit that has the same operating system, you can leech the drivers from that by hooking up the working drive via a U.S.B. adapter, going into control panel, choose small icons, and choose folder options. There you want to enable hidden files and folders in the "View" tab. Then, double click the troublesome item, choose update driver, and point to the new drive, choose the Windows directory, then loook for an "INF" folder. There will probably also be some files needed from the system32, and System folders as well, possibly the drivers folder in Windows too. Call me if you can't get it running, I'd be happy to help if need be, I know these instructions are convoluted and tough to follow.
    " I don't like the idea of getting shot in the hand" -Blackie in "Rustlers Rhapsody"

" It is a proud and lonely thing, to be a Stainless Steel Rat." - Slippery Jim DiGriz

Cool I didn't know I could look the information up like that especially if the driver wasn't installed. Thanks for the tip!
    One Script to find them.

Were you having the domain issue with Everest or Adia, Niclo? Did you try logging in with a local account, or is that possible in your situation?

It was with everest, I assumed that it would still detect that it's on a domain even if I logged in as a local account.
    One Script to find them.

Ack! There's a typo I didn't catch. The replacement for Everest is Aida32 (or 64). Major Geeks etc. has it available for download. It's better with current hardware, but the free trials are strictly time limited, and that's enforced by entries in the Registry which are left over even if you decide you don't want to keep the product. But, since most of these utilities are often one shot use, that's not a big deal. Certainly gives Belarc Advisor two or three upside the head. SIS Sandra is often useful, but some features aren't available unless you buy it. Haven't tried the current version, Sandra 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb View Post
    Ack! There's a typo I didn't catch. The replacement for Everest is Aida32 (or 64). Major Geeks etc. has it available for download. It's better with current hardware, but the free trials are strictly time limited, and that's enforced by entries in the Registry which are left over even if you decide you don't want to keep the product. But, since most of these utilities are often one shot use, that's not a big deal. Certainly gives Belarc Advisor two or three upside the head. SIS Sandra is often useful, but some features aren't available unless you buy it. Haven't tried the current version, Sandra 2012.
    Just a side note slgrieb, I have found in most cases where you have a tial version like that, if I use Revo Uninstaller to remove it, the registry entries are also removed therefore letting you reinstall again if needed.
    It's not the computers that keep having problems, it's the users!!