Printer & apps sharing w/ 2 computers & Win95

Thread: Printer & apps sharing w/ 2 computers & Win95

Printer & apps sharing w/ 2 computers & Win95

A friend called me today and was wondering if there is an inexpensive way to network 2 computers together to (1) share a printer installed on one machine; and (2) to install apps on the same machine that can also be run off of the other machine.

Where the problem lies is that, while my friend has a copy of Windows NT Server 4.0, there are apparently no NT drivers for the printer, so he wants to run the main machine with Windows 95. Is it possible to use Direct Cable Connection and File & Print Sharing to solve the first problem? And, is there any way to solve the second problem?

Any recommendations or suggestions would be helpful. I mainly work with stand-alone machines, so I have limited understanding of what may work in a networking situation.

What type of printer. You can directly connect two computers with Network cards using a special crossover cable. This will allow sharing of drives and networkable apllications.

As far as a lack of NT printer drivers Find out what type of printer. Even if there are not drivers for a particular printer there may be drivers for another printer from the same manufacturer that will work.

I bought a bunch of HP 870cxi color inkjets when they first became available and there was no NT driiver out. I tried several other HP drivers and found that while I lost a little bit of functionality the HP 550c drivers were adequate for what I wanted to do.

Good Luck

Great thread! It helped me realize I looked up a topic that has nothing to do with anything relevant for today.

I did this just for you Ferrit
    One Script to rule them all.
    One Script to find them.
    One Script to bring them all,
    and clean up after itself.

I think that worth 5 Necros

and a smilie