Thread: [RESOLVED] AGP issues.....

joelen

Question AGP issues.....

Got a question.
    Here are my system specs:

Asus A7V (1007 bios)
    Via 4-in-1 4.25a
    T-Bird 1GHz
    Leadtek Winfast GeForce II GTS 64MB DDR RAM 4x AGP(Latest detonator drivers)
    (bios set to 4x AGP)
    512 MB RAM
    (2 x 128MB, 1 x 256MB)
    IBM 7200 RPM ATA 100 Drive on the Primary ATA controller
    SBLIVE OEM
    Windows 98se

Here is my problem:

The video card instructions say to set the AGP Aperture size at the same size as the SYSTEM MEMORY.

Originally, the system had only 256MB RAM, and with the AGP Aperture set to 256MB all was working fine.

However, when I added an additional 256MB RAM, you cannot increase the AGP Aperture size, as the highest setting is 256, and for some reason it does not perform as well. Lowering the AGP Aperture does seem to work a little better though.

No frame rates to report, but when running the 'Soldiers' demo fron nVidia's site, it runs really choppy if I have the AGP Aperture set at any higher than 64MB. The higher the setting, the choppier it gets.

Now if i am understanding properly, AGP Aperture size is how much system memory is available to the video card for storing texture information, so it doesn't have to reload the texture information everytime that it needs it- so in theory, the more memory available, the better it should run-- which DID seem to be the case when the memory was only 256MB ram.

Incidentaly, as I am sure someone will ask, I did test this with each stick individually, and got the same results...

128MB by itself - AGP Aperture at 128MB- fine
    256MB by itself - AGP Aperture at 256MB- fine

So--- any ideas? is what I am reading incorrect and i really should set it at 64MB?

Any help would be appreciated...

------------------
    The unbreakable toy is good for breaking other toys...

joelen

Anyone?

------------------

BlueScreen_of_Death

if it aint broke-dont fix it- if your AGP card runs fine @ 64MB then i would leave it alone otherwise i could sell ya a Matrox 4MB video card that would run with no prob.....heh

------------------
    "I am the Office Jesus; I turn Water into Mountain Dew"

joelen

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BlueScreen_of_Death:
    if it aint broke-dont fix it- if your AGP card runs fine @ 64MB then i would leave it alone

</font>
    thing is, if i am using only 256MB ram- it works fine with the aperture size set to 256MB and it is much smoother.

------------------

Sorry_I_Win

Generally, for the best performance you should set the aperature size to half of the amount of system memory you have, but if you have more than 256MB of RAM then setting it to 128MB it usually best. You shouldn't see much difference from one setting to the next though. The reason u should set it to half the system memory is because u want other direct-memory devices such as UDMA hard drives to be able to grab up some of that memory too.

you should be running the new 4in1 4.29 drivers. It may or may not help improve preformance, but its worth a go.

------------------
    If it aint broke......use a bigger hammer

joelen

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Damned Angel:
    you should be running the new 4in1 4.29 drivers.
    </font>
    Is it OK to install those now? i was under the impression that they needed to be installed before the video card drivers, etc....

------------------