Windows ME not shutting down

Thread: Windows ME not shutting down

Angry Windows ME not shutting down

i have a new computer here, Asus CUV4x-E, Celeron 700, 128 megs ram, with Windows ME. the computer will not shut down. when shut down it gets to "its now safe to turn off your computer" and stops. i have to flip the switch on the power supply to get the machine to turn off. i have updated windows, installed the hard drive cache utlity and the via 4 in 1 drivers. nothing has helped. is there something in the bios i'm missing? would flashing the bios help? or could it be something in windows itself? thanks in advance guys.
    take care and tempt not the fates

cc_penguin

Geese, its time like this I wish I had a good memory. Somewhere I saw this problem before. If I remeber right, I just had to tinker with the power management feature in the Bios. But dont hold me to that. Sorry, I know its not much help, maybe someday Ill get a memory upgrade

[This message has been edited by cc_penguin (edited March 22, 2001).]

Skatman

There is a setting in BIOS with something like power management or ACPI power something or other to enable the computer to just shut down instead of using the power button,.... there is also a known problem with ME not shutting down properly and the web link to the patch is .....
    ah heck ill just give you the entire instructions for this if mods dont mind

There are many things which can cause Windows not to shut down properly. For general information and troubleshooting procedures, please see the information below.

Issue
    When the customer tries to shut down the computer, it hangs at the "Windows is shutting down" screen.
    When the customer tries to shut down the computer, it restarts instead.
    When the customer tries to shut down the computer, it hangs before the shut down process occurs.
    Cause
    These issues can be caused by many things. The most common reason for a failure to shut down properly is a program running in the background which is not closing properly as Windows shuts down. However, issues such as a corrupted sound file playing at Windows shut down, power management problems, corrupted device drivers, PCI IRQ Steering, and problems with Windows itself can cause this as well. Microsoft has issued many updates for Windows 98 Second Edition shut down issues and they have been proven in some cases to resolve the issue.

Troubleshooting Procedure
    The first step to troubleshooting these issues is verifying that it is a software issue and not a problem with hardware. To do this, the customer needs to shut down the system from Safe Mode. By running Windows in Safe Mode, only the required drivers are loaded and no software is started which normally starts at Windows start up. If the system shuts down successfully from Safe Mode, it shows that it is one of these things causing the shut down problem.
    You can perform this procedure by following these steps:

1) From Windows, restart the computer by clicking Start | Shut Down | select "Restart" from the menu and click OK
    2) When the computer begins to restart, have the customer hold down the left shift key.
    NOTE: This should take the customer directly to Safe Mode but sometimes will not work. If you get a message about a stuck key, hit F1 to continue the boot process and continue to hold down the left shift key. If holding the left shift key fails to take the system to Safe Mode, restart and continually hit F8 through the boot process. This will bring up the Windows98 Start Up Menu where you can choose option 3 for Safe Mode.
    3) Once the system is in Safe Mode, shut down normally by clicking on Start | shutdown | select "Shut Down" from the menu and click OK.

Results
    If the computer does not shut down properly from Safe Mode, it shows that there is something other than software or power management causing the problem. In this case, refer the customer to
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows98/downloads/contents/WURecommended/S_WUFe atured/Win98SE/Default.asp
    before issuing a parts request or RMA for defective hardware.

If the system does shut down properly, it shows that the issue is with drivers, background applications, or another software based problem. Continue to the troubleshooting steps below for background applications.

The items listed above are required for Windows to function normally. LoadPowerProfile may exist more than once and all occurrences should remain checked.

Any items listed here will start up when Windows boots. You need to inform the customers that the programs are not getting deleted. They are simply being removed from the start up group. This will save system resources and make the system perform faster as well but the customer will have to start these programs manually if they need them.

Most customers will have antivirus software which is set to load when Windows starts. These should also remain checked. If you are unsure of what an item does, look at it's path and try to determine which program it is a part of. In the example to the left, you can see that VsStatEXE is located in the C:\Program Files\Network Associates directory. Since you know that Network Associates makes McAfee Virus Software, you can determine that VsStatEXE is part of the customer's virus software and should remain checked.

If you have an anti-virus program that is configured to scan your floppy disk drive when you shut down your computer, your computer may stop responding.

4) Once the unnecessary items are removed from MSCONFIG, click Apply and let the system restart.
    5) After the system finishes rebooting, try to shut it down normally.

Results
    If the system shuts down successfully at this point, you have proven that one of the applications in the start up group was causing the system to not shut down properly. If the software is not something which originally shipped with the system, you can recommend that the customer contact the technical support for that software. Many times, reinstalling the application will correct the problem but sometimes it will not.

If the system still fails to shut down correctly, you have determined that it is not the software which is causing the problem. Continue with the troubleshooting steps below to disable fast shutdown.

Disable Fast shutdown.
    1) In Normal Mode Windows, click Start | Run and type MSCONFIG then click OK.
    2) Click on the Advanced button
    3) If you see an option for "Disable Fast shutdown", make sure a check is in that box.
    4) Click Apply and restart the computer 5) Once the computer has booted normally, try to shut down from the Start Menu.

Results
    If the system shuts down normally after checking the Disable Fast shutdown option, the problem is a result of a known issue with Windows98 Second Edition. The customer can leave it that way but should download the patch listed above from Microsoft.

If the system does not shut down properly, continue with the troubleshooting steps below to disable the wav file played at Windows Exit.

Corrupted Wav File
    6) In Normal Mode Windows, double-click the My Computer icon.
    7) In the My Computer window, double-click the Control Panel icon.
    8) In Control Panel, double-click the Sounds icon.
    9) In the Sounds Properties window, scroll down and click once on the Exit Windows event.
    10) In the Name drop down list, select none.
    11) Click Apply and try to shut down normally.

Results
    If the computer shuts down properly, you have proven that the issue was cause by a corrupted wav file which was being played when closing Windows. The customer can choose another wav file for this event or leave it without one to resolve this issue.

If the computer does not shut down properly after removing the sound from the Exit Windows event, continue with the troubleshooting steps below to see if power management is causing the problem.

Power Management
    The first thing you need to do is reinstall Windows APM support. To do this, you must first remove the current drivers Windows is using to manage power options. THIS DOES NOT APPLY TO LAPTOP COMPUTERS!!!

1) Double click the My Computer icon.
    2) Double click the Control Panel icon .
    3) Double click the System icon .
    4) Click on the Device Manager tab (view devices by type).
    5) Click on the + to the left of System Devices.
    6) Remove Advanced Power Management Support.
    7) Restart the computer and look for the instruction which says press F2 or Del to enter setup. When you see the instruction, press the indicated key to enter CMOS setup.
    8) In CMOS setup, look for Power Management configuration.
    9) When you find the power management configuration settings, the first option at the top of the page should be APM, Advanced Power Management, or Power Saving Features. You need to disable this option.
    10) Now you need to save Changes and exit. You will do this either by using the Exit option at the top right of the main page.

The computer will now boot back to Windows with no power management loaded. You need to reboot and once again, enter CMOS setup to correctly configure the hardware power management. You will be enabling APM but not allowing it to actually control anything. This stops problems with the APM actually being disabled and allows Windows to completely control sleep/standby functions.

11) Restart the computer and enter CMOS setup.
    12) Navigate to the power management configuration settings.
    13) Change the APM option to enabled.
    14) Disable all subcomponents such as Standby Mode, Video Power Down Mode, Hard Drive Power Down Mode, etc. Some of these options will not allow themselves to be disabled. Leave them alone.
    15) Save Changes and exit. Your system will once again boot to Windows. However, this time, it should detect new hardware (Advanced Power Management) and install the support software which was removed in the first set of steps.

Now, set up Windows to monitor for inactivity so it will put the system into standby when you want it to.

16) Double click the My Computer icon.
    17) Double click the Control Panel icon.
    18) Double click the Display icon.
    19) Click on the Screen Savers tab.
    20) Click on the Settings button to the right of Energy Saving Features...
    21) Now, under Power Schemes, you can choose a predefined power scheme or you can designate your own settings for when the monitor and hard drive go into standby by choosing a time which you would like the components to go into standby.
    22) Try to shut down the system normally.

Results
    If the system shuts down properly after correctly configuring power management, the issue can be attributed to problems either with Windows power management support or the power management functions of the BIOS.

If the problems persist and Windows does not shut down correctly, continue by troubleshooting IRQ Steering.

IRQ Steering
    IRQ Steering allows multiple PCI devices to share the same IRQ. If the BIOS is not fully compliant, this option may lead to machines not shutting down properly. To disable PCI bus IRQ Steering, follow this procedure.

1) Click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then double-click System.
    2) On the Device Manager tab, click System Devices.
    3) Double-click PCI Bus, click to clear the Use IRQ Steering check box on the IRQ Steering tab.
    4) Click OK, click OK, and then restart your computer.
    5) After you restart the computer, attempt to shut down again.

Results
    If the computer now shuts down successfully, the problem is with the system BIOS. Refer the customer to the BIOS manufacturer's website for a BIOS update.

If the system still does not shut down properly, follow the procedure below to troubleshoot the Plug 'n Play BIOS.

Plug 'n Play BIOS
    In some cases, Windows may not be communicating properly with the BIOS to control the computer hardware during the shutdown process. To configure Windows 98 Second Edition to ignore the presence of a PnP BIOS and communicate directly with the hardware, follow the steps below.

NOTE: This should only be done for testing purposes, as leaving the PnP BIOS disabled may cause some hardware to stop working.

1) Reboot the computer and hold the CTRL key until you see the Windows 98 Start menu.
    2) Choose Command Prompt Only.
    3) Type the following at the commands prompt hitting enter after each:
    cd \Windows\System
    ren Bios.vxd Bios.old
    4) Restart the computer.
    5) After the system restarts, try to shut down Windows.

Results
    If shutdown is now successful, it is most likely an indication the system BIOS is contributing to the shutdown problems. Refer the customer to the BIOS manufacturer's website for an updated BIOS flash.

If the problem continues after disabling Plug 'n Play BIOS, refer the customer to the Microsoft Website to download the shut down supplement for Windows98 Second Edition.

The above is mentioned for windows98 and the patch also,... however you can use some of these steps to assist you with the problem
    with windowsME. Sorry i cant post the link because its on a local intranet site

[This message has been edited by Skatman (edited March 22, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Skatman (edited March 22, 2001).]