Internal Clock Loosing Date & Time

Thread: Internal Clock Loosing Date & Time

Post Internal Clock Loosing Date & Time

I have a computer running Windows 98 SE, and here is the problem. When ever the computer is shut off and left off over night or over the weekend, when ever you turn it back on, the date and time shows about 1 hour after the computer had been shutoff. For example, lets say that I turn the computer off at 5:00 Friday night, and then come back and turn it back on Monday morning at 8:00 a.m. The date and time will show Friday, 6:00 p.m. It is not exactly one hour after I shut it off, but it is in that range. Usually I would say it is a bad CMOS Battery, but in my past experience, whenever it was the Battery, the date and time would go back to like 3 years previous, and it would do so as soon as I shut the computer down, and I would normally get a error when ever I turned the computer back on stating something to the effect that changes have been made or lost to the bios. I get no such errors with this computer, it is almost like the clock winds down after a certain time without power. Anybody have any suggesgtions?? Please help! Thank you in advance,Matt Baldridge.

Is it hooked up to a network?

Have you tried changing the CMOS battery anyway? It may be that it is still getting enough power from the power supply to keep from comletely resetting but not enough to keep the time.
    The Dragon has left the building.

Yes it is hooked up to a Windows 98 Peer to Peer network, as a workstation. It does not share any of its resources.

If it was connected to a server, it might have been pulling the time off the network, but that isn't the case here.

This may or may not be contributing to the problem. They just recentley installed a program called Time Slips. It is a program that enables them to print out phone messages with the date and time. I do not think that the program should be effecting the date and time, but it is the last thing that they did to the computer. I think I am going to replace the cmos batter just to see what happes, I appreciate the quick repsonses. Matt

If you have Mcafee clinic from the online version they had a problem with time loss, so there is a patch for you there.
    YOU can't HANDLE the TRUTH!!!

I'm sure this has nothing to do with it but since I didn't see anyone else mention it check the daylight savings time checkbox just for S & G. You said it was about an hour off. Time drift can be very frustrating.

Good luck.
    When in doubt, blame the sales department!

I'd be willing to bet that it's the CMOS battery. There is enough current to keep the CMOS memory intact, just not enough to advance the clock properly. Change that coin cell!!!

Kenny P.

tempdir

Heres a question, how does it handle time while its left on? Loses time then are there odd low level TSRs?

Does it lose time while it is unplugged over night?

Check connections for MB.

smokewolf

We have seen the same thing with a customer of ours. They had an HP Paviliion and installed TimeSlips on it and it could not keep time. Somehow it killed the CMOS battery or the battery was already on its way out.

Had to replace the Pavilion with an IBM netVista and works like a charm. But the Pavilion could not run TimeSlips.

Thank you guys for all the suggestions, I am going to try replacing the cmos batter and see if that does not fix the problem. I will report back what I find, thanks again!