new Asus A7A266 problems

Thread: new Asus A7A266 problems

Post new Asus A7A266 problems

I just bought a new Asus A7A266 mobo. I dropped my new Tbird 266 1.2ghz chip in, 256mb ddr 266 ram, and my videocard. I was able to get it to boot fine, and installed windows on a clean 40gig 7200, ata100 WD drive. Once windows was installed, i found out it won't boot into windows "normal" mode. ie not safe mode. I tried both win2k and winme. Both had the same problems.

I think all of the hardware is fine, since i can install windows. I can also go into safemode w/ no problems. I'm guessing it is a bios problem, but i'm unable to determine what could be causing it. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Sounds like a device conflict. If you can get to the Windows 98 Startup menu, choose (2) Bootlog

Then after you are in Windows, look in the root of C: and find the bootlog.txt file. It's hidden by default so you have to turn on hidden files to see it. Once you open it look for failures.

Charlie
    "Oh Bother," said Pooh, as Windows crashed for the umpteenth time.

Flash the BIOS, sounds like a video driver issue.
    Follow this link to chat for a quicker answer!

NooNoo, grover, Matridom, cc_penguin, Octavian, crazyman, Major Kong, and Mayet onboard.....And now starring Ya_know!

You DROPPED your TBrid..?? sure it won't boot lahh...
    No matter what,
    No matter where,
    If broadband connection is there,
    It's always HOME.

here are my tips :

1. make sure the following BIOS Settings are as follows:

System BIOS Cacheable = Disabled
    Video BIOS Cacheable = Disabled
    Video RAM CAcheable = Disabled
    VGA Palette Snoop = Disabled
    Assign IRQ for VGA = Enabled
    PnP O/S = No
    ACPI Support = Disabled

also if you;re using WinME you can boot to the BootMenu [F8] and choose bootlog.txt
    then you can see on what device it hangs (probably the last entry in the log..)

in Win2k you can consult Even Viewer..

try to install your computer using a PCI VGA card and with no unecessay hardware (CPU,RAM, Video, HDD and CD-ROM are the needed, the rest can wiat..)

Windows ME and windows 2k are totally different in their approach to hardware and use different drivers so my uess is some incompatibility or conflict..

check for a BIOS upgrade as well.

I had the same problem and I have exactly the same hardware as you except a 1.4GHz Athlon. My problem was the video card, I had to install the video card drivers in safe mode and everything was OK. I have the ATI All In Wonder 128 32MB video card.
    "[...] drug companies are killing far more Americans than all terrorists, murderers and criminals combined [...]" - NewsTarget.com