[RESOLVED] Dualboot help

Thread: [RESOLVED] Dualboot help

gl993

Resolved [RESOLVED] Dualboot help

I have a system setup to dualboot with Win95 and NT 4.0. It was created using an imaging program (norton ghost). My problem is it won't boot into 95 (NT works fine), I get to the boot menu, select 95 and it just hangs. This image has been used on a number of systems, they work fine. I went to boot to a 95 system disk hoping to fdisk the drive and start from scratch, it hangs from a known good boot disk (bios is set to diskette). If I boot into NT I can't format the drive because it is the boot partition for NT. If I disconnect the hard drive entirely, the system boots off my 95 system disk just fine. Any ideas?

Try setting the hard drive as slave or on the 2nd ide channel and see if you can boot off the win95 boot disk and use fdisk to start over.

My guess is that you have created partitions on top of partitions already on the drive. also, once you get it booted with the hard drive connected, use the command "fdisk/mbr"
    and reboot to clear the master boot record in the partition.

[This message has been edited by RGK01 (edited March 09, 2000).]

gl993

Thanks but the system won't detect it as a slave or primary disk 1, only primary disk 0. I downloaded the spec sheets from maxtor to make sure jumpers were set correctly, no help. When the system hangs you can feel, even hear the hard drive spinning in a repeating pattern. Could a bad hard drive stop a machine from booting from disk??? I wouldn't think so.

Yes, a bad harddrive could cause the entire system to freeze.