[RESOLVED] HELP PLEASE

Thread: [RESOLVED] HELP PLEASE

TheWay

Resolved [RESOLVED] HELP PLEASE

The Problem : Installed windows 98 SE on a computer: micron 333 lx board upgrade from win 95 And now it wont detect any of the hardware i have tried to auto detect but it finds nothing i need some advice despertly
    all the devices do show up in safe mode.
    When i try to manuly install driver it say it is installed but when you restart windows says it is not there are not all the drivers are loaded for the device

Signed
    Dying A Slow Death

Go to Control panel/System/Device Manager,remove one of the devices, restart the machine, and see if it detects that device and reinstalls it. You may have to do each device this way. Sometimes it works. Good luck. Sometimes you have to physically remove the device and start over.

[This message has been edited by Grafman (edited August 20, 1999).]
    Are we havin' fun yet?

TheWay

Thanks but it is not even showing the device to remove it

Holly

You said this was an upgrade from 95. Did you format before installing 98 SE? If so, how? Common to get residual data interference after formatting b/c that only destroys the FAT, doesn't wipe out data. And 98 loves to get picky if there's residual data from another OS. First, you could run the 98 Setup again. Not even reinstall yet, sometimes the setup works reparatively. If no luck, reinstall 98 SE and try auto-detecting again. If you can't auto-detect anything still, you need to reformat and start again. If you have to manually install devices & drivers, the whole installation is buggy to begin with so better just start fresh. In my view anyways. No sense putting all that time and effort into it just to find out over next 2 wks that you have to reinstall anyway, right?

go to safe mode, open regedit. import your registry to a file. now open hkey_local machine, kill the enum key, open syste, current controll set then class, and scroll down. when you get the the 1394,3d accelerator part, start opening all the keys and deleting any sub-folders you find in them (should be things like folder 001, 002 and so on). go to device mangler and remove any devices still listed(therer should be none). restart and let it do the re-detect thing. if this dosent work, check the system cmos setup for a setting pertaning to pnp o/s installed - make sure the value is set to yes. Hope this helps

Krandia

Also you might want to check in device and go to Unknown Devices and see if its in htere if so delet them and reboot to see if it will detect them, if not, remove attribs on system.dat and rename it to something like system.bad and reinstall windows.

jdjinside

Lightbulb

Start win98-safe mode. Go to device manager, and remove the pci-bus and restart in normal mode. If this won't work, go back to safe-mode en delete all system-devices, it's safe to delete all devices but hdd-devices

John

Mustang

and if it is a full install version i would recomment that you fdisk your system and reformat the hard drive before you attempt a reinstall

dksuddeth

go to safe mode and remove the plug n play bios from system devices. then reboot, let P n P redetect everything. if you have specific driver disk for video and the like, have them handy. if not everything should install drivers from the INF folder on the HDD or the win98 CD

If the fdisk doesn't kill the leftovers, Run debug and that'll get'em.

Press_F1

Thumbs up

Once N 4 All... I'd rather to do a fresh installation. Meaning start from the scratch. Get all the things u will require. Make it a point that u got all the device drivers with you.

And kindly let us know what's the result, Ok!

----------------------------------------
    FOCUSING on what u r doin' saves time!!!

Dvnt1

And it might help if you installed with only the vid card installed. Ad in peripheral cards one at a time, rebooting each time, and go from there.