A keyboard on a serial port?

Thread: A keyboard on a serial port?

Post A keyboard on a serial port?

Had a customer call me with a strange problem. Seems they knocked the ps/2 keyboard port innards wacky when moving the machine. They took to B*st B*y to have it repaired. The tech put in a serial port and a ps/2 to serial adapter. Now the keyboard won't get recognized by bios but will work for a while in Windows and then quit.

This is a new one on me. Any information, comments?

Charlie
    "Oh Bother," said Pooh, as Windows crashed for the umpteenth time.

WTF?? That is the stupidst thing I have ever heard of. Get the ps/2 yo serial adapter outta there, it will only work for a mouse. Breakout the soldering iron and put a new ps/2 header on that board, make sure it works and tell them to go back to the crappy store, smack the tech with a big trout and demand their money back. I bet the tech who fixed the machine just got his A+ or MCSE and has never touched a real machine before.

Are you sure about the trout?

Charlie

shawnMt

A serial port and PS/2 adapter for a KEYBOARD?? That like, short circuits my brain just to think of it.

Its ok to have a mouse on a comm port but a keyboard needs a keyboard controller, not a damn comm port! Do like Angel says and replace the header. If you are not comfortable solering on the board then tell them they need a new board.

I also still like the trout idea, though it may be pushing it a little

Talking

Hehe, the trout is the most important part. I bet if you just did that, the keyboard would start working again on its own.
    A mind really is like a parachute: It's a million-to-one you'll need one in this lifetime.

goofbal

Possible USB Port
    user doesn't understand difference from usb and serial port?

Talking

Reminds me; last week I go into a new clients office. . .they needed some help and their last tech guy had disappeared. . . the owner was married to a friend so I agreed to go. . .

Anyway, they had one system, fairly new, with Win 98 and a nice new HP deskjet printer. (820 or something.)

The printer wasn't working correctly, so I started checking it out. . . there were NO other printers connected to this computer, but the guy had set it up on the COM2. . . he was using a modern Pentium II system with Win98 and an brand new printer and had it set up on the COM port (With a gender changer). . . .OK, why? If someone can offer a compelling reason, I am all ears. I reset it to LPT1 and it worked fine. . . .

That would make a good thread. . . strangest thing the tech guy before me did that I had to figure out. . . because the problem when you see something like that is you assume they did it for a reason, and you have to figure out what that reason was so you don't screw up something else. . .

shawnMt

ellingtond makes a good point.
    If I go behind someone and there is something insanely wrong (like a new printer on COM2) I am always real careful, and assume at first, that the person did it for a reason.

Just a thought - maybe they were using some ancient software that would only print to a serial port?

[This message has been edited by shawnMt (edited March 27, 2000).]

So far......

I just got the system today. It does have a USB, they just couldn't get the lingo straight on the phone. There's more.
    The PC is an ACER model 5150LR. Went to Acers site to hopefully get a BIOS update to handle USB better. ACER doesn't acknowledge the P/N, doesn't even list a 5150, much less a 5100 series. It might be quite a trick to get this keyboard recognized before the OS kicks in, so getting into the setup is another task altogether. The serial ports both have DB9 to PS/2 adapters on them. The Microsoft ergonomic keyboard has both USB and PS/2 connectors. The mouse doesn't respond on the PS/2 port.

So far I am thinking, they can't get into bios to enable the ps/2 port for the mouse, so that's on com1. They have connected the keyboard using the usb, and since it doesn't work right are also using the ps/2 connector on com2.

I'm getting dizzy now.

Thinking about maybe having trout for dinner.

Charlie

from what i understand about USB if the bios does not support usb keyboard in dos you are out of luck
    you did WHAT with that computer!!!!

cttech

Ahhh yes the mysterious unknown Acer. I have seen this before, with the same problem. The I/O controller is most likely shot (it was on the one I worked on). Told the cust they needed a new M/B, however the boars is propriatary, and NLA from ACER. Sell them a new PC and be done with it.

Talking

Yea, besides the obvious Pac-Bell. . .I always tell clients not to buy a computer that starts with an A!

Acer, Aptiva, AST. . . . its easy to remember.