10/100s only run at 10 in an ASUS PII 400

Thread: 10/100s only run at 10 in an ASUS PII 400

Unhappy 10/100s only run at 10 in an ASUS PII 400

10/100s only run at 10 in an ASUS PII 400 with win98. The Hub is 10/100 autosensing on each port. Tried two different cards, Netgear/Dlink. Neither will work when set to autosense, or 100 or 100 full duplex. They will only work when set to 10? Everyone else on the net with 10 or 10/100s work fine and at the expected speeds. The cable seems to be fine. We are running TCP/IP. . . like I said everything works perfect at 10, but will not work at all at 100. . . .anybody seen this before?

Thanks!

I would recheck the cable. Make certain that you have Cat5 cable from end to end. Sometimes Cat3 cable will connect at 100 but will not be reliable. More often than not, a 10/100 device connecting to Cat3 will dumb-down to 10Mbps.

------------------
    R. Bret Walker, CNE

In space, nobody can hear you fart...
    R. Bret Walker, CNE
    (I'm not a Master Tech, but I play one on TV)

Wondering what videos to rent this weekend? Check out The People's Reviews, movie reviews written for the people and by the people.

Angry

Thanks. I swapped out the cable today. . .no luck. . . this one has got me pissed. Any other suggestions??? Anybody know of anything in the BIOS that could affect it?
    Everything is set to defaults. . . .

shawnMt

This one has got me, I read it a few days ago but still have not thought of anything other than cable/hub.
    Is it only 1 machine? If so, can't think of anything in the bios other than IRQ stuff. Force the card to a known free irq. Swap slots (you prob tried that.) Have you tried killing all network stuff in Safe Mode and reinstalling?

If it's more than 1 box and they are conneted to the same hub then try different ports and diff. hub.
    Sorry I dont have more but if anything pops in my head I'll let ya know...

I'm new to networks but, looking at the problem, it seems to define three different areas:

1st: Individual computer and card -- you eliminated this by change nics.

2nd: cables, local net & hub -- ?? no informattion as to local net, cables & hub seem to be eliminated.

3rd: hub connection to rest of net? How are you connected? BX? CAT5? -- What is the capability of the hub your hub connects into??

I'm following you post with interest, since I'm in the begining stages of teaching myself networking.

Angry

Thanks guys!

OK, It can't be a hub cable problem, I have tried different cables that I know work. This is the only system out of 16 that is having problems.

I have used 2 different PCI cards AND shuffled the slots. When set to 10 it works perfectly. When set to 100 or autosense we get nothing. the cards are plug and play. . . if it were an IRQ conflict it would (I assume) manifest itself at either speed I would think. The good thing is that the guy can still work and is no worse off. . .he is just not able to take advantage of the faster hub like his co-workers.

There is no modem or soundcard in the system.
    There is an IDE CD-R. There is a Diamond Fire GL card and the NIC.

I have removed and reinstalled all the net setting several times. . .I guess if poke it with a stick long enough I'll figure it out & let ya'll in on it. . .

[This message has been edited by ellingtond (edited March 27, 2000).]

KeyerP

Arrow

I had the exact same problem at a customers some time back, which caused no end of grief. I swapped cards, slots, cables and ports 'till I was blue in the face. It ended up being the motherboard...don't ask me why, I have no idea.

If possible try another PC and see if it connects at 100.

Hope this helps...

I think this was already suggested, but have you tried changing ports on the hub??

Talking

Switching ports didn't help, I actually moved the box to another location on the network so I could use a cable that I knew was good. . . .

I had this gut feeling that it must be a motherboard issue, but I had never seen a MB problem manifest itself like this. . . it makes me feel better if KeyerP has seen that situation. . what to do? I really don't feel like swapping motherboards and they will probably not want to. . . What will probably happen is we will just wait until they buy some new systems and rotate that one to someone that doesn't need 100. . .it is not worth spending much money on. . .If anyone can think of anyother possible software of bios issue I would appreciate it, but I am afraid there is just something screwed in the MB. . . .this system has acted funny in the past so. . .

I wasn't talking about the patch cable, I am talking about the cable in the wall and the ceiling. Have a cable guy come out and test it for Cat5 compliance. You may find that the cable from the outlet to the patch panel is bad or may run too near some fluorescent lights or something. A good cable guy will do the test for under a buck so what else do you have to lose? More hair? (-:

------------------
    R. Bret Walker, CNE

R. Bret Walker, CNE

Wondering what videos to rent this weekend? Check out The People's Reviews, movie reviews written for the people and by the people.

Sorry, I didn't fully read your last post. OK, did you try plugging the PC directly into the hub? That would be my next course of action.

------------------
    R. Bret Walker, CNE

R. Bret Walker, CNE

Wink

Yea, I actually moved it to a different desk (and wall jack) that were working at 100 OK.

We actually came up with a semi-solution. They had bought the system about a year and a half ago from a local PC Warehouse/Innovation type place. I suggested taking it back and requesting that they put a 100 card in it and test it. . . that way, when it doesn't work, we can say WHY doesn't it work. When they say there is a problem with the motherboard, we can say "We bought it from you. . . "

If they can make it work. . . great, I will gladly pay it to know for sure what the problem was. . . I am professional enough to admit that sometimes it takes another pair of eyes!
    DE