Unwanted automatic system reboot

Thread: Unwanted automatic system reboot

Unwanted automatic system reboot

I have a system that does intermitant reboots when you access software on the machine.
    The system is:
    AMD K6-400
    64MB SDRAM
    8MB AGP S3
    With Windows 98 Operating system installed.
    The system has caused no end of problems for this particular user, but when the amchine was on the network and runnnig Windows 95, it was ok. I can't blame the operating system because 95 went wrong within the first week of the user having the machine.
    Could it be caused by a graphics program wanting to use the processor for graphics, and instead it's using the AGP card?????
    Anyone got any ideas?????

You don't say what motherbd, but have you gotten and installed all the patches for it?
    "Tough Times Don't Last, Tough People Do"

A-Trend 5220 Super 7 Motherboard,
    but I have tried it with a QDI board too.

Dvnt1

I once had an FIC board do the same thing.......
    Let me see, it was the ide controller, went bad on the secondary side, and caused numerous errors exactly as you describe here.

p.s. getting booted like that whilst the number 1 player in an online q2 game running a cyrix chip and an s3 vid card caused me to get quite mad, hehe, ping is not everything......

Sounds like Hardare failure of some type. My experience is that random re-boots are caused by bad memory, bad Power, or bad MB.

Perhaps try back probing the Power Supply at the MB connection and the drives with a Digital Multimeter, or just replace it (they're cheap)

Run a good memory diagnostic on the system RAM. Or, alternatively replace it, if you have some ram laying around.

Dave Sparks