Windows Media Player Lock Up

Thread: Windows Media Player Lock Up

Post Windows Media Player Lock Up

Windows Media Player 7.1 works fine playing any files from my hard drive but last week began locking up as soon as I insert a CD into my CDRW.I have tried a number of things including removing and reinstalling several times and nothing works.Any thoughts?

Lightbulb

Try disabling AutoRun. Control Panel > System > Device Manager > CD-ROM > name of your CDRW drive > Uncheck Auto Insert Notification

If that doesn't work, try diabling digital audio in Media Player. What that option does is stream the audio off the CD over the IDE interface and not the auxilliary CDROM audio cable that runs from your CD drive to your sound card. I don't use version 7, so I don't know exactly what it's called or where the option is. Maybe somebody else here could enlighten us...

What MacGyver is talking about is in tools/options/CD Audio tab. You'll see a box for Digital Playback....

Another thing that can really throw a wrench into the works is if you re-assign different drive letters to CD/RW/DVD devices. For some reason, Media player will only recognize these as digital devices if you stick with whatever drive assignments are given by Windows.
    "Qui me amat, amat et canem meum."