printer pool issue

Thread: printer pool issue

Post printer pool issue

Hey everyone,
    I am trying to create a printer pool. I have 2 identical machines running identical drivers. They are as follows.

2 each -

Network printers with jetdirect cards.

We use jetadmin as well (there is nothing in jet admin for print pooling)

Printer - HP 4000n
    driver - PCL 5E
    OS - Windows NT 4.0 (service pack 6) used as print server.

We are using our server as the print server,.

Here's what I did. I had an existing printer. We added the new printer using the same port. We opened up the port properties and allowed printer pooling. Everytime I check the port settings the check box for printer pooling "magically unchecked" I don't know what gives? Should I have started from scratch? I don't think that is the issue. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Reference: <a href="http://windows.about.com/library/tips/bltip395.htm" target="_blank">http://windows.about.com/library/tips/bltip395.htm</a>

Print pooling is using several printers to service a single print queue. I believe the printers in the pool MUST be identical or it won't work. (which you've got, so you should be OK there)

It's possible this is only supported under Windows 2000 and not NT. Perhaps that's why the checkbox won't stay checked.

Question

Could be that both printers are on the same port. I thought that they were supposed to be on different ports?
    I can win any argument with any computer made yet. Since they really haven't learned to fight back.

Registered User FatalException0E's Avatar

yeah, I'm pretty sure the printers have to be installed on different ports, so that both can print at the same time. Then If the printer pooling box is checked on them both, it should just pick up and go.....never done it before, though
    Contents: One signature
    || |||| | |||| |||

Anyone else able to resolve this one. I tried seperate ports first and it didn't work. In the port properties I can see both printers listed for that port. SO that doesn't appear to be a problem. I'm not real sure though.

Thanks...