wont detect modem..

Thread: wont detect modem..

Question wont detect modem..

this is strange..i have an old cyrix 150mhz in an old via mobo.. after a complete reformat,(and removing the nyb virus i got on the startup disk).. windows 98 won't recognize my modem. It's an amquest 56k with a rockwell chipset.windows didn't recognize the cd-rom on the first boot to windows, and thus couldn't load all the drivers. i installed all drivers i could find on 98 disk, but still .. no modem detected. it was working fine yesterday before the format.ports are all working, no irq conflists, im stumped..any sugestions?

3fingersalute

Since it is a fresh install anyways, I would think your quickest fix would be to boot into safe mode, rename the enum with regedit and load DOS cd-drivers temporarily so you can properly install drivers while it re-detects all hardware!!!

That or wipe it, copy cabs to the hdd and reload it
    (A)bort (R)etry (G)et a beer?

i forgot to mention that it had a vnetbios error on bootup also..i deleted the reg entry for vnet bios.. would that cause the trouble?

3fingersalute

Maybe with networking, but either way, if you look in device manager, you should have either the modem listed (probably with a !) or an unknown device, an unsupported device, or a pci communication controller, or something along these lines!!. A simple remove & refresh should re-detect it!

yep..there is an unknown pci input device with a ! in front..I didnt think it was modem related though... hmm ill try that next i think. (you guys are great)!!

I've blown many hours on this type of problem. The most cost effective solution is chuck the old modem, go to Staples or some nearby computer store and buy a new PCI modem. They cost about $30 and it saves you hours of fooling around. It is not elegant but it works!
    "While one person hesitates because he feels inferior, the other is busy making mistakes and becoming superior"

if its the software modem it requires a p166mmx.

I would suggest soending a couple extra bucks and get a hardware modem.
    "I may not like what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" Voltaire.

Wink

Just a suggestion but try removing the modem phsically ,rebooting the system, making sure all devices work alright then shutdown and reinstall it.You may find it will then be detected properly as software modems tend to go missing if not installed correctly on the forst pass.

3fingersalute

Originally posted by arjay:
    I've blown many hours on this type of problem. The most cost effective solution is chuck the old modem, go to Staples or some nearby computer store and buy a new PCI modem. They cost about $30 and it saves you hours of fooling around. It is not elegant but it works!

I don't really see where is worth ditching the whole modem simply because he don't have the drivers loaded up!

Originally posted by Andi:
    Just a suggestion but try removing the modem phsically ,rebooting the system, making sure all devices work alright then shutdown and reinstall it.You may find it will then be detected properly as software modems tend to go missing if not installed correctly on the forst pass.
    Also along these lines pull the sound card out and install it last. Sound cards have a habit of hogging resources. Install snd last and let it take what is left.
    If life is a bitch, then what is death? I believe that I will take the bitch...

Thumbs up

My problem is solved..for some reason the modem wouldn't recognize the specific drivers for itself. the hayse compatable drivers were the only option before chucking it, and on reboot somehow it magically appeared!!(ain't windows funny?) anyways she conected at a solid 57k!! thats right 57?? 3 times in a row. thanx to everyone for their suggestions.