Laptop network boot disk

Thread: Laptop network boot disk

Unhappy Laptop network boot disk

I have 18 Sony laptops with port replicators. They have the kawasaki lsi usb ethernet adaptors in them. I need to make a network boot disk that will load dos drivers for these so I can log onto a server and re-image the hard drives efficiently. I have never been successfull at getting a net boot disk to work with any laptop. Another approach would be a disk that loads card services for the pcmcia slots, then dos drivers for a pcmcia network adaptor. Any advise????

there is no dos support for USB to my knowledge

I agree, you'll never get the USB to work in DOS, however check out www.bovistech.com as they have some ready made laptop DOS-network boot disks you can try. Otherwise you'll have to do what I do, and burn the images onto CD and ghost from there.

Red face

I would use a CD except with all the software these users use, I haven't been able to "shrink" the image file size down enough to fit on a CD. Sony's wasy of restoring the machine back to original installation from factory is with their own image program which gives you the option of full re-install, or just O.S. however, it uses 2 CDs and I am not a programmer, so I can't reverse-engineer the thing to figure out how they get away with that.(The program asks for disk 2 during the re-image process. I will try to get a disk to load card services, and then a pcmcia network adaptor driver, then the network client for dos, as my last hope...Any other suggestions???

The latest versions of Drive Image pro etc have disc spanning technology so having more than one CD shouldnt be a problem as it will ask for the second/third as and when required.

May be a little unrelated, but Sony has a special driver update for your device. http://www.ita.sel.sony.com/bin/supp...e=USBETHME.EXE

BTW, what model of Sony do you have?

If you use Ghost, when you create the image use the following from a command prompt:

ghost -z2 -split=630

This will compress the image and split it into files no larger than 630 meg.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience

I agree with cave dweller,ghost not only gives you the option for a boot disk with usb device drivers but also can span images across cds, with ghost you probablly wouldnt even need the network support, but its still there if you need it.