Here's a strange one...

Thread: Here's a strange one...

Question Here's a strange one...

Ok, here's the situation.... The customer has a Touch Celeron system running WinME and a Lexmark Z32 printer. When double-clicking on IExplorer, it will not perform the regular dial-up routine. You go into internet settings, change the settings to "Always Dial" or "Dial whenever a network connection is not present", it works fine till you reboot. After rebooting, the connection is changed back to "Never dial a connection."
    HOWEVER....if you disconnect the printer from the USB port, it works fine. You can change the dial-up setting, and it retains them.
    I called Lexmark, they said, "Call your ISP." I called Touch, and they said, "Update your BIOS." Any ideas?
    ***the Beast
    - That's right...uh-huh... Who's laughing now? WHO'S LAUGHING NOW?!

We sell this printer and had a similar situation with it-- when installed, USB mouse would not work...

after EXTENSIVE troubleshooting, turned out that a updated driver for the printer resolved the problem.

you may have allready installed the most current printer driver, but if not-- i'd start there.
    The unbreakable toy is good for breaking other toys...

Nick44

I've jus been told today that some printer instruction (should someone bother to read them)manuals say that the printer has to go into the first USB port or it may act strange.

In your case I would try the other port or even a USB hub just to see what happens.

That's pretty whack, i've seen this problem before but just attributed it to some other program whoring the settings for itself.
    There are no stupid questions! Just stupid (l)users!

A bit of general advice:

When weird little problems like this arise, think about it this way: You will probably research it, call different manufacturers and stay on hold and endure a lot of frustration, but what is the end result? The customer will not want to pay for 3 hours of labor for a small bug fix/workaround. Be fair to yourself and your customer, and explain that little quirks like this do happen, and the best thing to do for everyone is just to workaround it.

that's what I've found to be true in my experience, anyway.

tk

lexmark = bad.

Nuff said methinks.
    [email protected]

http://forum.hot4s.com.au - Hot 4's & Performance cars

I had the same problem, I don't remember if I had a lexmark printer though. I also noticed when My computer started notepad started with it. Soo I went into my registry and looked what started. In the Run folder there was a key called 'startie' It started notepad up with a weird configuration file of some sort. I'd remove the key and it'd work fine for a while but when I started up IE again It would come back. Now that I think of it, I think AOL was to blame on that one.

that is a known trojan virus lagmonster. i have seen is many times. u will need to do an end task on notepad. delete notepad.exe, then rename note.com to notepad.exe Also remove the setting in the registry like u said. If u do not delete the notpad.exe file, the virus will reapear. Also note that this trojan will spread rapidly over a network and infect every single machine.
    -=If at first you don't succeed... skydiving is not for you=-

¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸Sorry_I_Win,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸

might be lagmonster, but most likely it is the far more common QAZ. Look for *.hsq files to be sure. FYI, QAZ is a backdoor and is highly common and contagious on networks
    Dopey Is My Hero, the king of idiots, the mentors of morons.