[RESOLVED] return of the celeron, the e-machine strikes back

Thread: [RESOLVED] return of the celeron, the e-machine strikes back

rootbeer_G0d

Resolved [RESOLVED] return of the celeron, the e-machine strikes back

My god! my boss bought like 20 celeron 600 and 633 emachines and its driving me crazy! no one's going to buy them! its just an expensive coffee table

emachines are terrible. On the one hand, cheap computers like that are good for the computer service industry because they definitely create a lot of work. But on the other hand, the people who buy them are cheapskates to begin with, so when you try to charge them for labor, they're going to hassle you.

They create a lose-lose situation where neither you nor the customer is happy.

tk

3fingersalute

Agreed....I love nothing more than too see these E-Machine owner's eyes boggle out of there head when you tell them that the power supply is dead and a replacement costs $100+ dollars...they all say the same thing..."WTF??...I only paid $400 for it!!

you pay for what you get, expecially when it comes to cheap pc's
    emachine is a packard bell with another name on it.
    pieces of ****..
    I had a powersupply blow up in my face as i was plugging the kb and mouse in after re-loading the machine...

Don't forget the high quality HDD's in these bad boy's!!

In one of the really, really Blue states.

Wink

I just got one of those celeron 600's. We must get our stock from the same place. At least it has a separate modem. I figure it like this- people are buying the cheapo compaq and hp's as fast as they can make them, so I would rather have them buy'em from me-AFTER I show them the toy power supplies. I keep a cheap blown compaq with a 140watt power supply that blew after 14 months and took the mobo and hard drive with it just to show people. If they still want it-I will sell it. Since I sell it as used they get a 30 day warranty.
    Some people have to learn the hard way. In fact some people REFUSE to learn. The blown Compaq was from a company that designs audio for websites. You would think they would know better. They replaced it with a decent computer I built them, but all they did was moan how expensive it was!
    So I keep making money. I feel as long as I tell them the truth, make my recommendation and they choose to ignore it, I have no remorse taking their repair fee money.
    I use to build computers using PCChips mobo's. I learned my lesson the hard way.
    "We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." -Benjamin Franklin
    "I'm a hard worker." -George W. Bush

Wow! And I thought my boss was nuts for buying 2 Book Pc's (PCChips). One I sold at cost to get rid of the thing and the other went to one of his other company's where to my suprise it's been running as a Linux server for a year without a problem.

The company I work for stocks a power supply that fits the E-machine cases. They sell for $79.99 and fly out the door.

As far as the Book PC's go, there are several different companys that sell them, and they come with different mobos. The model we carry has an ECS mobo (not a great board, but far, far better then PCChips.)
    -- I still do not understand the rampant growth of stupidity in this country.
    <a href="http://www.tabletop-battlezone.com" target="_blank">The TableTop BattleZone</a>

hmm...ECS and PCCHIPS have surprisingly similar boards , almost as if they were built and designed by the same company.....
    Life is good...sometimes...

Originally posted by Tech666:
    hmm...ECS and PCCHIPS have surprisingly similar boards , almost as if they were built and designed by the same company.....
    ECS was purchased by PCCHIPS quietly last year.....
    Although I certainly see a lot of talk about the problems with PCCHIPs in this forum, I have seen very few problems with their boards over the last 18 months. I will grant you, they are certainly not made for gaming or high end graphics, but several of my clients have them working as network workstations with very few problams. And they seem to do fine for Grandma, who wants something cheap to check her email and play FREECELL.
    We see many more broken Gateways, Dells, Compaqs, HP's, and even Tyans than PCCHIP's. As long as the users don't try to over do they're capabilities. They work fine for their intended use. CHEAP workstations.
    WHAT!!!